L2201 - Is This My Regulator?

Modern Otter

Equipment
L-2201
Jun 11, 2012
Powhatan, VA
I'm having charging problems with my L2201. With a freshly recharged (after having been discharged) battery, I get 12V and a bit, but no step-up when running. Before testing further (alternator & regulator), I thought I'd scope out replacement availability and price. I've identified what I would think is the regulator, but nothing I'm finding online resembles it. They're all square boxes with or without fins. The thing I'm gazing at is round. The white wire running to the left is actually the bleached out positive battery cable.

If it turns out that's the regulator and it's bad, any leads on finding a new one?
IMG_20220908_184007171_HDR.jpg

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
That is your starter solenoid.
Your big issue is that it appears you have a Grey market kubota which means not made for sale in the USA.
Dealers will not recognize your model and cannot help you.
Read the sticky part of the gray section of the forum.
I think the USA equivalent of the L2201 is an L245
Go to kubotabooks.com and look for manuals for a L245. They are not great.
Kubotabooks
One option many have reverted to is a one wire alternator with internal regulator.
Dave

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The regulator is probably tucked away under the dash or some other semi protected area. Look at the area where the tachometer is housed and where the tachometer cable is attached to the tachometer.

Take it to an alternator repair shop and they can test it and sell you a new one.

Same applies to the alternator for repair or replacement

Reactions: 1 user

Modern Otter

Equipment
L-2201
Jun 11, 2012
Powhatan, VA
Thanks! Oh yeah, of course it's the solenoid. I've actually been in this grey market rodeo with this tractor for many years. Done water pump, exhaust, etc., but nothing electrical except batteries (meaning this alternator/regulator pair date back at least to the '90s).

That is your starter solenoid.
Your big issue is that it appears you have a Grey market kubota which means not made for sale in the USA.
Dealers will not recognize your model and cannot help you.
Read the sticky part of the gray section of the forum.
I think the USA equivalent of the L2201 is an L245
Go to kubotabooks.com and look for manuals for a L245. They are not great.
Kubotabooks
One option many have reverted to is a one wire alternator with internal regulator.
Dave