L2000DT Front Axle Rebuild - How to?

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I have a L2000DT that has become a good friend over the past year. The prior owner did have a front loader on the tractor but removed it prior to sale. Now the machine has 1500 hrs on it and is leaking badly on both sides where the axles meet the tires.

I do have a generic shop manual, but its not very helpfull. Does anyone have a good how-to? I'm assuming that I'll need to install all new seals and bushings due to the loader wear.

Many thanks!
Peter

Battered Sav

Equipment
L2000DT (L225DT) Tiller, Slasher, Finishing mower, Ripper, grader/ripper, PHD.
Oct 1, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Same tractor, same name. :)

I have a 'workshop manual' in pdf.
I think it may be the same as you already have, it covers several models, i.e. L175, L210, L225 etc.
The PDF is ~160 pages and 44MB, is that the same as yours?

I've saved the pages concerning the front axle group to a .DOC but it's a ~2800kb file.
Compressing the file yields little saving.

If you can PM your email, or suggest a site where I can upload the file, I'll do that asap.

HTH

Last edited:

quinka

Equipment
L245DT with FEL and backhoe, B7100HST
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
I did mine, be careful, it is heave. Best to take it apart and put it on the bench to do everything. Seals gears, bearings and bushing and don' lose the shime, keep them where they were. If you need any help, email me at newdes@gmail.com I am now helping a guy with his mower gearbox rebuild. Don't try to remove the bottom first!

Frank

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I did the front end of a old L3750. Too many years of FEL work with no rear ballast on the 3 pt hitch.

Along with the hubs, I had to do a ring/pinion and front axle pivot mount bushing. Lot of work, but nice to put a good old rig back in service.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Thanks all. I'm clearing my chore list to dig into this. Sounds like nothing to it but to do it. I'll report back once I sort it out

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Well, I found the time to rebuild my front axle towards the end of 2013. It took a bit more time than I expected, but seemed to be an easy enough task. I did find a couple of bad bearings which I replaced. I also used all new seals during the rebuild.

Now, about 8 months (10 tractor hours) later, I notice that the differential side king pin knuckle is wet with oil.... SO, I drain and measure the quantity of oil in the front differential... and it's about 1/3 of what it should have been.

I am really baffled as to how it can be leaking. The ONLY thing I can think is that the oil is making it's way along the axle shaft and past the seal near the U joint.. Could I have put the seal in backwards?

Any thoughts or fixes?