L2000 diesel tank question

Shell Shocked

Equipment
L4701 - L2501 - L2000
May 18, 2015
West TN, U S A
I noticed I lost a lot of diesel when I returned to the old L2000. The drain cock to the diesel tank is giving up the ghost. I consider myself mechanically inclined and can handle most repairs. I also know these parts are hard to come by. Before tinkering with it i thought id check in with the brain trust before I break something so easy yet hard to replace.
Any secrets or things I should i know before I get started on it?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I assume that it is a brass petcock similar to my L185.

I recall that it was fairly simple to disassemble and had some o-rings involved in sealing it. There may be a drain plug next to it to drain the tank if needed.

You may want to be careful if it won’t turn easily since the bottom of the tank may be rusted through or also leaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Shell Shocked

Equipment
L4701 - L2501 - L2000
May 18, 2015
West TN, U S A
So elementary question, do I unscrew at the "T" of the brass peacock or is it elsewhere. I haven't really taken the time to analyze exactly how it is set up. Does the whole fitting take a wrench to get it off. Ill be at the farm this weekend to figure it out on site.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Going off memory from a couple of years ago...
The PETCOCK (sorry about the spelling it peacock) has a rubber hose on it that is removed. The petcock is simply screwed into a thicker plate on the bottom of the tank. I can’t recall what type of thread is used but it is probably a tapered pipe thread or a straight thread with a seal washer underneath a flange. It was normal thread so screws in and out normally. You can use a crescent wrench or an open end wrench (metric).

I recall that it was easy to take apart and vaguely remember that it had a couple of screws that held a flange over the part that has the handle. It is like a needle valve in that it screws in to turn off and has a tapered section that seals the fuel off.

I think that there was an o ring on the central part that turns.

Go to Kubota USA illustrated parts list and you can probably see how it all works

Reactions: 1 user