L185DT With 4 Pin Nippondenso Alternator

Noobie

Equipment
L1500DT 0R L185DT
Aug 9, 2020
Canada
Hello,
i have a project L185DT underway problem is it has the old style 4 Pin Nippondenso 021000-255 alternator on it. I cannot find a replacement for it. I see tons of 3 pin versions. Question is has anyone converted the 3 pin unit to work on the older 4 pin harness. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-You.

Attachments

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Are you SURE it's an alternator? Could it be a dynamo or a generator? Are you sure it's bad and not supporting stuff like a voltage regulator? Nippon Denso has contact lines which may provide help.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It is an alternator with an external mechanical contact points style regulator. Its output would be around 15 amps or less.

Unless you are committed to maintaining your tractor in a pristine original condition switching to a DENSO one wire alternator is the most practical solution. You gain a more powerful alternator, 70 amps, have no more mechanical regulator, loose the warning light but can easily install a voltmeter. Wiring changes are simple.

forum Denso.jpg

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Noobie

Equipment
L1500DT 0R L185DT
Aug 9, 2020
Canada
It is an alternator with an external mechanical contact points style regulator. Its output would be around 15 amps or less.

Unless you are committed to maintaining your tractor in a pristine original condition switching to a DENSO one wire alternator is the most practical solution. You gain a more powerful alternator, 70 amps, have no more mechanical regulator, loose the warning light but can easily install a voltmeter. Wiring changes are simple.

View attachment 47111

Dave
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply do you know what Alt to run if i go to the single wire option. Also do you know what wiring changes would need to convert to the single wire alt. Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Have you gone to an alternator rebuild shop. On my L185 that had a 3 wire they were able to sell me a rebuilt alternator (and a starter) with no trouble. The one I had was too damaged to be worth the repair.

My alternator was 3 wire plug and one wire bolted on. They did not have the regulator in stock but could have gotten one. I just went with the dealer for that since I had a few other parts that I needed.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply do you know what Alt to run if i go to the single wire option. Also do you know what wiring changes would need to convert to the single wire alt. Thanks
The alternator I showed in the eBay link would work easily. Some mounting fiddling might be required.

All wires connected to the existing alternator would be disconnected and their ends insulated.

The existing regulator would be unplugged and removed or left in place.

A 8 gauge stranded style automotive wire to be run from the new alternator to where the battery cable connects to the starter solenoid.

Finished. It is far simplier a wiring project than anyone expects.

Those that have done this conversion have been most pleased. Now they can run a lot of lighting and the reliability of the 2020 style product far surpasses the OEM unit.

Dave

lsowens96

Equipment
Kubota L175
Sep 2, 2022
Knoxville, TN

View attachment 47111

Dave
Dave,
I am encountering the same issue with my L175: needing a new alternator. The solution you have provided seems to be the easiest and most effective.

Do you happen to have the part number or link to the correct alternator I could buy off of eBay?
Thanks for your help.

Logan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
found this...
you'd have to email to check IF they have one and $$$$

Agree the simple,clean option is a '1wire alternator', providing the normal range RPM is enough to run it.