L185Dt trailer size

brett1148

Equipment
l185dt
Oct 20, 2023
United states
Looking to get a trailer to hall my lawn mower and tractor. What size trailer would I need to hall my L18dt with a loader and I would also like to get a blade for it also.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Whatever size you think you need, add at least 4 feet in length.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Looking to get a trailer to hall my lawn mower and tractor. What size trailer would I need to hall my L18dt with a loader and I would also like to get a blade for it also.
An all aluminum, 30', tandem axle, 14K GVW, would certainly be adequate! :ROFLMAO:

• Wow

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah, until it breaks, in the middle of nowhere and NOBODY can weld it back into roadworthy condition.
worse yet on a high,go for help, come back and 'orange' is missing......

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
yeah, until it breaks, in the middle of nowhere and NOBODY can weld it back into roadworthy condition.
Show me on this doll where aluminum trailers hurt you in the past... 👨‍⚕️

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Do you really think a 2382 pound L145DT is going to break a 14K :ROFLMAO:aluminum trailer?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You obviously haven't been on the 'main drag' here in Hamilton !!!
Truckers will take the 1/2-1hr 'bypass' to save their rides

The issue I have is aluminum isn't as easy to weld as steel, and it'll corrode.
Every 'welder repair shop' can weld steel, not all can weld aluminum.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You obviously haven't been on the 'main drag' here in Hamilton !!!
Truckers will take the 1/2-1hr 'bypass' to save their rides

I lived in Minneapolis/St. Paul for 23 years!
I think I do know a little bit about highway salt corrosion!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
One issue with aluminum trailers (and yes, I have one) when there's salt around is that that aluminum doesn't do well in a galvanic couple with steel. It's kind of hard to build an aluminum trailer without using steel parts. Another problem with aluminum is that it's amphoteric which means it corrodes in both acidic and alkaline environments.

@brett1148, as for a good trailer it doesn't sound like you need much given your intended use. However, what will you be pulling it with, do you want room to grow either the tow rig and/or the load, is budget an issue etc.?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I suggest that you get a tandem axle trailer with brakes on at least one of the axles but both would be better. It will be nearly impossible to move around by hand but is much safer to tow. If you have a blowout on the trailer you will be able to avoid having a wreck. The trailer brakes will help you avoid wrecks when people pull out in front of you.

I have a 10 foot single axle (3750 lb? Axle) that will move the tractor around but no room for a loader or any implement of any length.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I suggest that you get a tandem axle trailer with brakes on at least one of the axles but both would be better. It will be nearly impossible to move around by hand but is much safer to tow. If you have a blowout on the trailer you will be able to avoid having a wreck. The trailer brakes will help you avoid wrecks when people pull out in front of you.

I have a 10 foot single axle (3750 lb? Axle) that will move the tractor around but no room for a loader or any implement of any length.
EXCELLENT safety advice!
Trailer wreck pulled friend/vehicle off the road, and caused his death!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

The OP might want to look into a brake controller too. The Tekonsha's I have are essential when towing.

All of my trailers, with the exception of the CargoPro aluminum trailer, have brakes on all wheels. It's the law in Montana that any trailer with a GVWR of 3,000lb or more must have brakes on all wheels and a system capable of proving breaking force for up to 15 minutes in the event of an unintended separation of the trailer and tow vehicle.

What's not required by Montana state law are chains between the trailer and tow vehicle, unless the GVWR of the trailer is under 3,000lb. This makes sense since trailers under 3,000lb don't have brakes on the wheels.

My boat trailer has a surge brake which is probably the norm since boat trailers tend to get submerged.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All the good natured BS, aside. What you are pulling with will make a lot of difference in what you are pulling. A 1 ton pick up will pull like its not there, yes a KIA suv might not be the right choice.
To many people worry more about the " GO" and not enough about the " WHOA " ! Breaking is more then likely the most important part of trailering,
I dont know what your tractor weighs and what all you want to load on the trailer, but a bit if an over kill is not a bad thing. Figure out all your weights and go 10% more.
Also the right kind of hitch, again what you are pulling with you need to have it adapted to the trailer.
This is just MHO mind you

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
All the good natured BS, aside. What you are pulling with will make a lot of difference in what you are pulling. A 1 ton pick up will pull like its not there, yes a KIA suv might not be the right choice.
To many people worry more about the " GO" and not enough about the " WHOA " ! Breaking is more then likely the most important part of trailering,
I dont know what your tractor weighs and what all you want to load on the trailer, but a bit if an over kill is not a bad thing. Figure out all your weights and go 10% more.
Also the right kind of hitch, again what you are pulling with you need to have it adapted to the trailer.
This is just MHO mind you
All you mention Skeets is important, but proper tongue weight is extremely important. You have that off far enough and brakes won't matter much!!

Last edited: