L185DT Jack Stand Location / Tips

TwitchyMcJoe

Equipment
1980 L185DT
Hey everyone!

I just bought my first tractor (orange or otherwise) for taking care of our small horse farm, a used Kubota L185DT that is mechanically sound and in decent cosmetic shape. The price was right for our area, and it came with some implements I'll need.

The only mechanical concern was a weeping oil seal on the FWD part of the 4WD system. After getting the tractor stuck in a muddy spot, and unstuck thanks to the front loader and some neighbors, the seal is weeping a bit more. I think I saved the FWD gears and casings from damage, but the oil leak is a little more concerning now.

I am unsure if the viscosity of the oil is correct (SAE 90), but I plan on replacing the oil seals if it isn't just the wrong oil seeping past the seals.

Where is the proper place to jack up and support one of these? Does anyone have any other tips for working on the L185DT?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Support the front axle by the main axle housing, in most instances. But if you plan to remove the front axle completely support by the tractor frame behind the axle/below the engine.

80/90 gear oil or Kubota SUDT2 (either is OK) is what is recommended in most models…. but get the WSM (WorkShop Manual) for anything more than simple oil change work.

Reactions: 1 user

TwitchyMcJoe

Equipment
1980 L185DT
Support the front axle by the main axle housing, in most instances. But if you plan to remove the front axle completely support by the tractor frame behind the axle/below the engine.

80/90 gear oil or Kubota SUDT2 (either is OK) is what is recommended in most models…. but get the WSM (WorkShop Manual) for anything more than simple oil change work.
Thanks! I have the WSM from the Kubota books website. I'm used to working on cars, so it isn't too daunting. I'm more concerned about finding parts!