L185DT - Dualies!

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
Wow, neat! It's good to know that you have used it for that long without any trouble, especially with that style of axle configuration.

How did you attach the outer wheels?

I built a set of spools for my Yanmar YM2000, a comparable machine to your L185 of about the same size but with a bit more power. I used a leftover set of tires that are a bit smaller (8.3x24 rather than the 9.5x24) but in soft ground, where they are needed, they bit just fine, and added a significant amount of weight when filled:

I ended up taking them off, since I found the width too cumbersome for my orchard, and added 360 lbs of wheel weights instead. The Yanmar was originally designed for a set of duals on it, or a weird paddle wheel arrangement for use in the rice paddies.

I bet your tractor is tremendously stable with the additional width, mass, and traction.

kcservak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2250 with backhoe 72" finish mower and front dirt blade.
Sep 25, 2011
poughkeepsie ny
Yes that is very cool I would like to know how you did it as well I have a 185 I would like to do that to.
keith.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
At the time I did this I had both time and some $$. An L245DT was initially $4400, the 185DT was $4000. All I REALLY wanted was a wider stance, and maybe a bit more traction. The 245 would have given me both - it had adjustable wheels and a size or two larger tires. I think I spent $600 - $700 on the project.
Back then I made my own studs. I had the local steel shop cut the spacers and flanges, then I did the drilling and welding.
So you have to get a couple of wheels, and tires.
Have a local shop cut the spools. Buy or make studs (I just priced grade eight 16 x 1.5mm all thread at $85 for a 3' piece - you'll need two), nuts & bolts. By the time you do all of that, there is a guy on EBAY that will build you a set of spacers for about the same money.
I was going to use my old wheel weights to build up 2-1/2" spacers for the new L3200 - ended up with the guy from EBAY. He did a super job. Anyway, pictures of the flanges and spool piece are now with my original album. If you decide to do this, have a ball. I sure did.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/album.php?albumid=131