L185, What bush hog ?

thedriver

Equipment
Kubota L185- Woods L59 -back blade-back bucket- JD 425-4 angle plow-JD LT166
Aug 24, 2020
Garrettsville Ohio
Hello, i am new to the forum and see lots of good info here. i have an L185 and will be needing a bush hog at some point for my property. there is a Woods RM42 available to me for $250 but, i am confused as to which bush hogs will work with the L185 ( standard PTO direction ? ) Questions. 1. the RM42 has a single spindle with rotary blades but is belt driven after the drive shaft and looks like it has a side discharge. is it a bush hog :unsure:? and will it work with my L185 ? 2. if not the RM42 what bush hogs would work with the L 185 ?

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I am not 100% sure but that looks like a finish mower not a brush hog/shredder . I don’t think that you can have belt drive for a shredder. A shredder will have two heavy blades that pivot on bolts. These bolts won’t be on a rotating disk or bar.

I have a 48 inch shredder (Modern Ag Competitor) on my l185 and need four 55 pond weights on front to feel comfortable that I can steer well.

That being said I really don’t need the shredder for the most part. I mow mostly grass in my pastures and think a finish mower may work better. There are a few saplings that may be too much for that but I could avoid those if I had to.

There are also flail mowers that may work better for what you need. They may not cut high enough but I don’t really know. I try to cut around 10 inch tall to help native grass grow here (Texas).

My L185 has 3 pto speeds and first is 540 rpm. The pto rotation is normal direction. There is an overrun clutch in the tractor. Single stage clutch (let clutch out and pto and transmission both engage. I engage pto with transmission in neutral to get it spinning then clutch in, engage the transmission and take off. Seems a bit easier on pto since I can engage it at slower rngine rpms and then increasing to full pto speed marked on the tach.

State a few more items about what you’re intending to use it for and others will comment.

thedriver

Equipment
Aug 24, 2020
Garrettsville Ohio
I am not 100% sure but that looks like a finish mower not a brush hog/shredder . I don’t think that you can have belt drive for a shredder. A shredder will have two heavy blades that pivot on bolts. These bolts won’t be on a rotating disk or bar.

I have a 48 inch shredder (Modern Ag Competitor) on my l185 and need four 55 pond weights on front to feel comfortable that I can steer well.

That being said I really don’t need the shredder for the most part. I mow mostly grass in my pastures and think a finish mower may work better. There are a few saplings that may be too much for that but I could avoid those if I had to.

There are also flail mowers that may work better for what you need. They may not cut high enough but I don’t really know. I try to cut around 10 inch tall to help native grass grow here (Texas).

My L185 has 3 pto speeds and first is 540 rpm. The pto rotation is normal direction. There is an overrun clutch in the tractor. Single stage clutch (let clutch out and pto and transmission both engage. I engage pto with transmission in neutral to get it spinning then clutch in, engage the transmission and take off. Seems a bit easier on pto since I can engage it at slower rngine rpms and then increasing to full pto speed marked on the tach.

State a few more items about what you’re intending to use it for and others will comment.
I am going to check it out today. my understanding is he used it for years as a brush hog. it has the two big heavy blades that swing from the large bolts like a BH . i spoke with Woods as well and was told they made about 8 - 10 different versions of the RM 42. this version was like an in between kind of deck set up. not quit a finish mower, and not exactly a traditional BH , due to the drive shaft over belt drive to the spindle. and the large swing blades. i will let you know what i come up once i put eyes and hands on it. thank you for you response

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello, i am new to the forum and see lots of good info here. i have an L185 and will be needing a bush hog at some point for my property. there is a Woods RM42 available to me for $250 but, i am confused as to which bush hogs will work with the L185 ( standard PTO direction ? ) Questions. 1. the RM42 has a single spindle with rotary blades but is belt driven after the drive shaft and looks like it has a side discharge. is it a bush hog :unsure:? and will it work with my L185 ? 2. if not the RM42 what bush hogs would work with the L 185 ?
Sounds like a finish mower rather than a rough cut mower.

Yes, Woods did once make some heavy duty finish mowers and, perhaps still do.

Yes, some owners do misuse some finish mowers as light duty rough cut mowers but such is abuse.

It depends upon what you plan to cut with it.

SDT

Last edited:

thedriver

Equipment
Aug 24, 2020
Garrettsville Ohio
Sounds like a finish mower rather than a rough cut mower.

Yes, Woods did once make some heavy duty finish mowers and, perhaps still do.

Yes, some owners do misuse some finish mowers as light duty rough cut mowers but such is abuse.

It depends upon what you plan to cut with it.

SDT
i am far from an expert on this equipment and my knowledge is somewhat limited however, i don't remember finish mowers with a single spindle ( usually 3 maybe 2 ) with the very large heavy swing blades like a BH. I have seen the woods smaller finish mowers and they have 3 spindles and solid mount blades. i guess i will learn as i go and, have more info once i get a good look at it. i will know more wed. morning when i go pick it up after i give it a very good looking over. thanks for your reply. i will keep it in mind.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
That seems Like a good match to your tractor, if the rotation is correct. Apparently they were made with both.

thedriver

Equipment
Aug 24, 2020
Garrettsville Ohio
That seems Like a good match to your tractor, if the rotation is correct. Apparently they were made with both.
Yes, that's what i was thinking, and the rotation is correct. i didn't want to go to large and be under powered then, beat up my L185. 15ish PTO HP is not much to work with BUT, is doable . you either abuse the tractor or, have to go so slow it's just no fun. thanks for the reply.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That sounds like what I would call a rough cut mower. If it is mounted on four wheels that can cause problems in rough terrain and may get damaged by rocks or logs on the ground. Also it may not cut through saplings over 1 inch diameter like a true shredder could.

There is a company called Meg-Mo that sells adapters to convert fixed blade mowers to swing blade mowers that sounds interesting.for deck mowers used in fields.

thedriver

Equipment
Aug 24, 2020
Garrettsville Ohio
That sounds like what I would call a rough cut mower. If it is mounted on four wheels that can cause problems in rough terrain and may get damaged by rocks or logs on the ground. Also it may not cut through saplings over 1 inch diameter like a true shredder could.

There is a company called Meg-Mo that sells adapters to convert fixed blade mowers to swing blade mowers that sounds interesting.for deck mowers used in fields.
it only has 2 wheels that are mounted in the rear and, it does have swing blades

thedriver

Equipment
Aug 24, 2020
Garrettsville Ohio
OK, i just got the Woods RM42 home. it is definitely a bush hog. only 1 spindle, heavy swing blades, 2 adjustable wheels mounted on the rear, and discharges from the rear. it is unconventional compared to modern BH's with a gear box, as well as being smaller in cutting size. this one is PTO shaft driver to pretty HD pully's and 1 HD belt to the spindle on the unit. i have no reason to believe this RM42 will not be able to BH for me with my L185. i am aware of the limitations with my equipment. however it does look like a very well built cutter. i will give it some love and put her to work and see what she will handle. thank for the help and all your opinions.

Last edited:

thedriver

Equipment
Aug 24, 2020
Garrettsville Ohio
Sounds as if it was built for you, and priced right. Stay at the 540 rpm.
Please do report on how it works for you.
Yes i will definitely follow up with how it works for me once i get it all cleaned painted and mechanicly up to my standard. it's solid and in working order, just needs some TLC.
The price was very good i thought. and yes a perfect fit for the L185 with low HP.
Are all bush hogs , rotary cutters, run at 540 prm ?? or mostly, depending on the unit ??