L185 oil pressure

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
L185 oil pressure (update with pics)

Bare with me. I purchased a L185 in March 2011. I have been using it to do some mowing since, it has a 72 inch finish mower (pull behind). Recently the battery went dead and I figured out the charging system was not functioning. I found a blown fuse, and replaced it. It must have been blown since I bought the tractor, because the charging and oil pressure lights are now working.
The oil pressure (idiot light) will not go off. I replaced the sending unit, which did not fix the problem. My next step is to install an oil pressure gauge. Has anybody done this, and if so would u share what type or size fittings you used?
I have been using the tractor for over a year and it runs great. The mower is a little big for it but as long as I keep the blades sharp it does fine.
I did a search and only found one thread and not much info. I am allmost certain it has oil pressure because it runs good, doesn"t smoke, no abnormal engine noise.
Looking for thoughts and ideas and sugestions. Thanks!

Last edited:

DickSnyder

Equipment
L185DT,L1200 FEL, Rear blade,Woods RCC42
Jul 29, 2011
Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon
My 185DT did that for a couple of years until I found a short in the sending wire, cut off an inch, new terminal and all is well. Not sure if that is your problem, but might check.

Dick

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I can help with the fittings. The thread where the pressure switch goes into the block should be 1/8th BSPT. It's very close to 1/8th NPT but the thread pitch is slightly different and the angle the threads are cut at is different preventing a good seal. If you're looking for something temporary you can buy cheap 1/8th NPT pressure gauge and use a bunch of teflon tape to get a reasonable seal.

For something a little more permanent you can get a gauge with BSPT fittings or a cheap adapter fitting from any place that sells Autometer gauges (Summit Racing ships for free). I'm using the adapter into a tee and bought a generic 1/8th NPT pressure switch so I've got both the light and gauge.

Pressure should be in the 20-80 PSI range.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Although not an L185, you can see my adventure with the idiot light malfunction on my B8200. I'd be willing to bet the thread pattern on your motor is the same as mine. You can easily get a metric to english thread adapter. I bought a little kit at the local AutoZone for around 5 bucks, then threw on a standard pressure gauge. Works great for me! Mine had something to do with the wiring...some kind of corrosion or short causing the oil light to flicker.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I decided to check the part numbers and the numbers for the pressure switches cross reference to the same part for both the L175 and L185 so it is the 1/8th BSPT thread. Make sure you've got pressure and then troubleshoot the oil light circuit.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Does the L185 have the soft plug in the end of the cam ?

E/S

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Not sure what you mean but I've got both cams out of my L175 right now so I can look and see.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
On a 245dt there is a plug in the front end of the cam where it was drilled for oiling. The plug is tapered and notorious for falling out and dropping the oil pressure.

E/S

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
Thanks for the replys. OK, did some more trouble shooting today:

* idiot light wiring is ok, tested it with a circuit tester.

* bought an oil pr. gauge. Found out what you guys were talking about with the threads. Installed the fitting into the block and put a length of hose on the fitting and started tractor. Got lots of oil out of hose.

* installed oil pressure gauge and started tractor. 0 oil pr at idle 5 PSI at 1800 rpm.

* took off cap on valve cover. Getting oil to top of drive train, I could see it flowing.

* tractor has about 1800 hours on it

* It is hard telling how long it has been this way, probably several years. The guy I bought it from used it to mow his yard every week, he kept a trickle charger on it.

* I think I am just going to use it for the summer and decide what to do this fall.

* what would be some causes for low oil pressure. I read the cam button mentioned above. Others?

* I have a parts guide. how hard is it to get into the oil pump area?

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Don't use it with that low oil pressure. Search " low oil pressure L245dt" . I have pictures of the missing plug. The worst part is getting the front nut off and not bending the springs in the governor section.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Ok I found the part you were talking about E/S and both of our tractors use those on the valve cam shaft. Fuel cam does not have one. Unfortunately to inspect that the gear cover on the front of the engine has to come off. You've got to remove the crankshaft pulley and on mine the front axle has to come off too. You can get a feeling of what's involved by looking at my L175 Restore thread.

Oil pressure that low at 1800 indicates you've got a big leak or the oil pump has problems. You say it's putting out a decent volume of oil though? It might be something as simple as the pressure relief valve being stuck. Though since you have no idea how long it's been like that it's also possible the low oil pressure is a just a symptom of the bearings being worn out. It would need a complete overhaul with the exception of the fuel system and possibly the valves in that case.

Is the motor clattering at all? Noisy rods when cranking? If not I wouldn't write it off yet, you may have caught it before too much damage has been done. If you run it more now it will definitely need an overhaul by the end of the summer. Both the oil pressure regulator and the relief valve are located externally on the oil filter housing. I'd remove and clean everything in there before poking around inside the engine.

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
Thanks stumpy, good info. Yes, I decided not to run it anymore untill I figure out the problem. I am going to check out the filter area like you said. Also, some thing that comes to mind, is that I changed the oil and oil filter this spring, and used a NAPA oil filter instead of a Kabota one. I may pick up a Kubota filter also to see if that makes a differance.
It runs to good to ruin it. The only noise I hear from it is a little lifter noise, I'm sure the valves good use adjusting. As for as any knocks or such, it has the normal diseal rattle but nothing out of ordinary (at least I think so).

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
Ordered a service manual today. As soon as I recieve it I will tear into it and documant what I find here. Thanks to all of those providing advice so far, it really helps (kinda bumed out).

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Mistake""" that should be "L235" not "245". I did all kinds of testing, had I spent the same amount of time pulling the front cover off, I would have been ahead. Anyone know how to post that "link" so he can just click on it and go right to it???

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
Today I installed a Kabota oil filter, and checked the pressure relief and regulator on the filter housing. Every thing was fine there, and still no oil pressure. Pulled it out onto the driveway and hosed the dirt off of it.
Started disassembly. I have it tore down to the front cover, oil and antifreeze drained. I will start on the rest as soon as I get my service manual. I will post some pics when I get tore into the engine.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
So much for hoping it was just a stuck pressure reg. Well dig in, good luck, and we'll be here if you need help.

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
Stopped by my local Kabota dealer and got all of the gaskets and seals ordered that I will need. I asked him about service bulletins for a L185, he looked them up and actually found the one about the cam plug falling out ! It was from 1979 ! It listed serial numbers of effected models, mine fell within that range.