l185 3 point hitch noise / starter switch

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Hello all,
I recently purchased a L185 (2 wheel drive).
There are a couple of items that need repair right away that I would like to have some input on.
1) the whole starter switch on the dash has started to rotate instead of just the knob and internals rotating and actuating the switch. Does anyone have an idea of how the starter switch is supposed to be fixed to the dash? Is there a slot or tab that is supposed to hold the outer parts? Any idea how to get the switch apart from the dash to look at/repair? The switch is tucked in behind the fuel tank and the console seems like it has to come over the stering column. I can reach it from beneath the console but can not see much that direction.

2) The 3 point hitch makes a strange squealing sound when the lift control lever is at the extreme upper limit of travel. I assume the noise is a relief valve for the hydraulic pressure releasing and that there is some adjustment in the linkage of the lever to adjust so that there is no pressure relef going on. Is that correct or is it something more significant going on? I have not looked too hard yet at the linkage but did see some type of "turnbuckle" adjuster I think.

Please let me know of any suggestions.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thank you for the reply. I will try to get these fixed this week end.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Both were easy as pie!

The starter switch was repaired by removing the knob (held on by small screw through the shaft of the switch). Removing the nut holding the switch to the console. Grabbing the switch from under the console, rotating it to align a small tab with a slot in the console and holding switch in postion install nut and tighten down. Re-install the knob and call it done!

The 3 point hitch noise was eliminated by adjusting a small rod on the left side of the tractor (left when looking toward front of tractor). It had two nuts sandwiching a small tab connected to the lift arm. Place the lift control arm in the highest lift position and lengthen arm until noise is gone. To insure it is adjusted correctly then shorten arm until noise starts and then back off nut one full turn. Tighten up both nuts and put lift control arm in lowest position and then back to highest lift position (cycle down and up positions). If noise is gone, call it done. If noise is still there, repeat the whole thing until noise is gone.

Thank you for the help.