L175 Brake Spring

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Left brake pedal on the L175 is not returning as it should. It will come back up if the pedal is pulled up. Took the linkage off, nothing binding there, so only thing I can see is the shoe return spring is weak. As far as I can tell nothing at the arm coming out of the housing is binding.
Tried to find one, but the best so far is $9.95, but there is a minimum purchase price of $25 there.
Couple of others want about $25 for the one spring...........I don't think so.
Can't get the part to pull up on Messicks site.
Any ideas?
Old part # is 31220-28134
New # is 31220-28130

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Coleman Equipment, a sort of Messick's says $23.95 for the internal spring. However, I do NOT think that is where your problem might be.

https://www.colemanequip.com/search/31220-28130 /

I came up with this image from the L175 Workshop Manual.

From the Coleman site, it appears if there should be springs on each brake pedal external to the inside of the drum.

Dave

Attachments

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Funny you bring that up. Should have included I added and extra spring that is longer and stronger on that side in an attempt to correct the problem.
If not the shoe spring, what else?
Reason for wanting the spring is if I decide to go into the housing I'd like to replace it rather than find out I need it and have to wait for a replacement.
Coleman is where I found the spring that has to be made of gold for that price.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may want to look for grease points on the bottom of the tractor. There is probably tubes that go across the tractor and are held by bolted on clips (not the best description) that should have grease fittings in them. Clean and grease these.

On my L185 that resolved sticky brake pedals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Recently greased, no binding anywhere except at the brake drum lever.
Without taking anything apart yet, and possibly discounting the spring, the only other thing I can make it bind is the fit between the shaft coming out coming out of the housing.
Sprayed it down with PB Blaster, let it sit, then took it out hitting the brakes. So far that hasn't worked.

Last edited:

Mikew22

Equipment
L185
Oct 11, 2019
El Dorado Arkansas
Recently greased, no binding anywhere except at the brake drum lever.
Without taking anything apart yet, and possibly discounting the spring, the only other thing I can make it bind is the fit between the shaft coming out coming out of the housing.
Sprayed it down with PB Blaster, let it sit, then took it out hitting the brakes. So far that hasn't worked.
Did you ever figure out a fix to the brake pedal sticking? On my L185 both brake pedals have been that way since I bought the tractor years ago

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Problem turned out to be frozen shaft that goes though the brake cover.
The "0" ring ( part # 41 ) was bad, and that allowed dirt and rust to cause the pin that goes though ( I think it's part # 28) to seize up. Cleaned up the shaft and the hole it goes through, installed new ring, problem solved.

Last edited: