L175 Alternator

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
My old 4 pin style alt. is almost dead, and according to one of the leading rebuilders in Houston it can't be rebuilt.
Here's the problem, all replacements have a three pin plug on the back, mine is the real old 4 pin. It seems a replacement for it is non existent.
New 3 pin replacements are easy to find, and I know someone has taken the newer 3 pin model and made it work, either with an adaptor, or a new wiring harness.
Did searches on this and other old tractor forums, but didn't find an answer.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Since electricity is not my friend and does scare me it sometimes takes a while for things to sink in.
All newer alternators have 3 pins and these three pins are marked. My old one is also marked, so can I just replace the old one piece plug with spade connectors and plug them in the same order as the old, or would that ruin the voltage regulator since the original had a 10amp output and the new ones are 25-35.
I saw another solution that I'm going to quote from an older post saying it's a one wire set up. If this works like the conversion on my old Ford tractor I had to bring the RPM's up to about 1500 before it would start charging. The solution was to put a jumper across the two spade terminals. That would allow charging to start even at idle.
Here's the quote. Would doing the jumper thing work here and eliminate the external voltage regulator?

Denso makes a copy of the old GM one wire setup with internal regulator but shrunk it in size.

Some current GM vehicles use Denso alternators rather than Delco.

Here is an ebay link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-GM-MI...9YPx7H&vxp=mtr

All the existing regulator wiring would just be taped off. The one wire from the new alternator to the battery terminal on the starter solenoid.

Some consideration for a non charging warning is likely necessary.
A voltmeter or a solid state voltage monitor as on some riding mowers.

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I would recommend you continue your old thread and delete this one, you have all the info needed in the other thread.
Main wire to battery, one wire to IGN switch, one to lamp. You have wires going from the alt to the reg and from the reg to the switches, use them, join them, mark up your wiring diagram.