L1501DT Gear Forks and Some Service Advice.

xrmichael

Equipment
L1501DT, JCB 8014, Thwaits 2T Dumper
Sep 22, 2021
UK
Well hear goes the first post, been reading the forum for years on and off to help with keeping the old L1501DT going, she's used for log splitting and topping the grass in the paddock etc etc.

I’ve had the machine 15 years or so a grey import into the UK and it’s never been able to select 1st gear, so during a fluid change this week I decided to investigate the 1st gear problem, so after a couple of tractor mechanic in a cans (beers) went down in the afternoon I plucked up the confidence to brake the gear levers free.

After a little persuasion the top popped of one of the springs was stuck to the gasket but fortunately dropped on the floor so no fishing around with a magnet.

Looking into the slide I found a small piece of metal sat between the 1st and 2nd and revers slides stopping the 1st gear selection, on 1st inspection it looked like a woodruff key but I reckon it’s the end of a shift fork has anyone see these break off before. Must be my lucky day it could have caused mayhem

So to get to the bottom of the problem I presume need to remove the shift forks to work out which one is broken, is this as straight forward as removing the next section of casing ? do i need to remove the creeper lever ? and help appreciated I have the wsm and the parts manual but a little hand holding may boost the confidence

Also I have a grease nipple right on the front of the tractor looks like it would send grease into the front diff ? do you just put a couple of pumps in there ?
I have never replaced the steering box oil seems to be a square head nut for the fill but I struggling to find the drain ?

Cheers

Michael
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG

xrmichael

Equipment
Sep 22, 2021
UK
Spent some more time on the tractor knocked up a make shift puller for the creeper lever not knowing if it need to be off to remove the cover it doesn't IMG_0583.JPG took the 2nd cover off add the broken part is from the end of the shift fork IMG_0584.JPG anyone want to sell one

spent some time cleaning up the crud from the gear box IMG_0582.JPG

found out that the front grease nipple is for the axle swing not diff

still cannot figure out how the steering gear box drains and fills

xrmichael

Equipment
Sep 22, 2021
UK
Found a shift fork at Stavros Savva in cyprus shipped to the uk within 24 hrs, tring to find some gaskets in the uk also came acroos a youtube video of a guy installing the forks and lever covers

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Sounds like you are making some good progress so far. I hope it all comes together for you.

Bill

xrmichael

Equipment
Sep 22, 2021
UK
Forks arrived and new gaskets all put back together and working fine. Was not as hard as I expected just a little fiddly with the interlock balls. At last 1st gear now operating. Could be a good winter project getting her blasted and recoated only 1030 hrs on the clock.
IMG_0595.JPG

Still none the wiser on the correct way to drain and fill the steering gear box opted for a large syringe.
Michael

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Forks arrived and new gaskets all put back together and working fine. Was not as hard as I expected just a little fiddly with the interlock balls. At last 1st gear now operating. Could be a good winter project getting her blasted and recoated only 1030 hrs on the clock.
View attachment 68440
Still none the wiser on the correct way to drain and fill the steering gear box opted for a large syringe.
Michael
That is great Michael! I have an old ford 8N. It got to locking up years ago, I took the shift cover off not really know what I would find. It was a dog point screw in the linkage that was sheared off letting it get into 2 gears at once. Well I didn't have one but removing another one I copied the point by grinding another screw and drilled a hole for the tie wire. It has been going strong for 15-20 years that way. Still have the 8n along with my kubota L2501.

Bill

axeman87

Equipment
Kubota L2002DT
Oct 30, 2015
Fort St John, BC, CANADA
For doing this, did you find much other damage? How was the oil condition?
I have a l2002dt and now it's not happy in second gear. Just wanted to see if it was doable . Did you have to take much of the tractor to get access?

xrmichael

Equipment
Sep 22, 2021
UK
The oil was not too bad but i changed it out and had a good poke round with a magnet to get all the bits from the bottom of the casing

The only gear boxes i have worked on before this were tamiya cars and a couple of trial bikes, just a bit awkward.

Getting the cover off was a pain (ill get shot for saying this) but a stanley blade tapped into the gasket line seemed to work very well and popping them apart

Most fiddly bit the interlock balls

My tractor is hibernating for the winter now

Reactions: 1 user

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
View attachment 68440
Michael
Wow, that is a sweet 1500, drooling, lol.

Chow

Samantha