L1500DT Driveshaft issues

KennyMillar

Equipment
L1500DT Tractor with Loader
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
So my nice new shiny 1970's L1500DT has a few issues. Nothing too bad really.
(Thank to everyone who helped out with my hydraulics - they are well on the way to being sorted.)

The next thing I would like to tackle is my prop shaft for the front wheel drive.
As you can see it has a number of issues.

1. It has broken at the coupling.
Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 16.57.06.png

2. The splines are worn away on the 'short' piece.
Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 16.57.20.png

3. The splines are pretty much gone on the other end too!
Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 16.57.27.png
I've done some googling but I can't find a new shaft anywhere, so I could repair this one if I could find new splined couplers of the right size which I could cut and weld in. I'm thinking something like this, but of the right size and with the right number of splines. I measure it as 18 Splines and 25mm diameter.

I should replace the universal joints too while I'm there too!

However i can't find suitable splined couplers anywhere!
Any suggestions?

-Kenny.
(Scotland, UK)

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Kenny,

Wow that is in rough shape, (thinking it may be time to check my driveshaft, lol).

I'm not sure of the spline count or dia, but I think it's the same as the front crank shaft, so if you find something let me know.

There are places that can actually make spine shafts and couplers I'm actually looking into that myself.

I might take my shaft off and have a good look at it and take one of the spline ends down to NAPA and see if they can match it, or maybe a local drive shaft shop, if I find one I'll let you know.

Cheers
Samantha

Reactions: 1 user

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
I might take my shaft off and have a good look at it and take one of the spline ends down to NAPA and see if they can match it, or maybe a local drive shaft shop, if I find one I'll let you know.
Thanks again!
Sadly we are very much lacking machine shops like this in Scotland.
I counted it as 18 Splines, 25mm internal diameter.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 18.19.34.png

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Kenny,

:) Glad to see you have the new parts, that 1500 will be up to snuff in no time.

2 days turn around, wow that's quick, heck I can't send a letter across town that fast.

Let us know when you have it all put back together, and of course, Pics, lol.

Cheers
Samantha

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Let us know when you have it all put back together, and of course, Pics, lol.

Cheers
Samantha
I had a look at doing this job myself last week. However my welding skills are a bit out of practice.
A wee bit of googling and I found that Scotland's only propshaft repair company was just 10 miles from here! Their website promised all kinds of good stuff about 'same day' or 24 hour turnaround. It's been with them 4 days now and they haven't even looked at the job yet. Every day they tell me they'll get to it tomorrow.... oh well lets hope tomorrow comes. I have to go away on business on Monday, so that'll put me back another week.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hi Kenny,

Sorry I haven't been on for awhile, been busy, busy, busy, and even more busy, lol.

Has tomorrow came for your driveshaft yet? I hope so, I know what it's like to have your orange not running, sighs, but I am getting close now, :).

Cheers
Samantha

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Has tomorrow came for your driveshaft yet? I hope so, I know what it's like to have your orange not running, sighs, but I am getting close now, :).
Hi! Yeah, tomorrow was 10 days later. And the part he made for me was too long, and didn't have any way of separating it to fit it. (The original has a bolted flange on one joint).
I did another post about it here. With some pictures.
Although I did get my butt kicked for laying new hydraulic lines on the ground. Guess I deserved that!