L1500

aussiejeff

Equipment
L1500
Oct 13, 2010
Australia
Hi, I have started on replacing the front main seal in my engine, but am having problems with the large nut which holds the fan belt pulley on the crankshaft.
The nut is super tight and apart from maybe applying a little heat to help crack the tension and lots of swearing etc does anyone have an easier method of removing the nut?
Also is there a better way to hold the shaft apart from multigrips to prevent it turning?

Thanks and Regards

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you do not have an impact gun then a torque multiplier is the next best thing.

I see you are in Australia but these things are everywhere once you start looking.
This is a link to start getting you more informed:
Torque multiplier
Youtube is full of videos.
Torque video
There are two different styles as you will realize once you start looking at videos.
The torque these simple devices can apply is so high it is hard to imagine.
The Amazon one has a gear ratio of 58 to 1 which is like having a super long pipe on your power bar.
You may have to buy an additional socket to fit your nut because the ones in the multiplier kit may not fit.
I do not know your tractor and its pulley but what has worked for me is a v belt wrapped around the pulley and clamped tight with vice grips. The rest of the belt can be looped around something solid to retrain the crank from turning.

Depending where you live, there are mobile mechanics who service the trucking industry. They will have battery powered impact guns which will break the nut loose. Truck tire repair guys are another option.

Trying to use a propane torch is a waste of time. If you go the heat route you need oxy acetylene stuff to get the nut hot quickly.

This video gives you a technical view of the planetary gear setup which provides the torque multiplication.

tech explanation
Dave

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Like Ed, my first concern would be the direction you're trying to turn it. From there the best suggestion is to use an impact wrench. They will frequently work where the steady application of force will not.

aussiejeff

Equipment
L1500
Oct 13, 2010
Australia
Like Ed, my first concern would be the direction you're trying to turn it. From there the best suggestion is to use an impact wrench. They will frequently work where the steady application of force will not.
Thanks for the replies, i managed to borrow a impact gun and buy a long impact 46mm socket so will try tomorrow, thread direction is normal ccw to undo.

Thanks