L1500 Rear Main Seal

aussiejeff

Equipment
L1500
Oct 13, 2010
Australia
Hi all,
I am currently replacing the rear main oil seal on my l1500 and have a query. There are 4 flat slightly curved washers (2 bolts each) that bolt to the housing the seal fits into. When removing them i noted they are fitted so the 'curve' follows the outside radius of the seal but doesnt touch it. My thoughts are they should be fitted so part of each one holds the back of the seal to prevent it from being forced toward the flywheel. Any thouughts/input would be appreciated.

Regards

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hi all,
I am currently replacing the rear main oil seal on my l1500 and have a query. There are 4 flat slightly curved washers (2 bolts each) that bolt to the housing the seal fits into. When removing them i noted they are fitted so the 'curve' follows the outside radius of the seal but doesnt touch it. My thoughts are they should be fitted so part of each one holds the back of the seal to prevent it from being forced toward the flywheel. Any thouughts/input would be appreciated.

Regards
They are to keep the bolts from backing out only. If your engine has enough crankcase pressure to displace the seal, you would have serious problems internally.
They were installed correctly.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Is there an echo in here….??