L1500 Rear Main Seal

aussiejeff

Equipment
L1500
Oct 13, 2010
Australia
Hi all,
I am replacing a leaking rear main seal on my L1500. I have split the tractor and removed the damaged seal but have a query about the 4 flat locking washers (2 bolts per washer) that bolt to the housing surrounding the out side of the seal. They have a slight curve on them, and were fitted so the curve followed the seal outside radius. I think they should be 'reversed' so they partially cover the back of the seal and act to hold the seal from moving towards the flywheel if under pressure. Can anyone provide some input please.

Regards

Jeff

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hi all,
I am replacing a leaking rear main seal on my L1500. I have split the tractor and removed the damaged seal but have a query about the 4 flat locking washers (2 bolts per washer) that bolt to the housing surrounding the out side of the seal. They have a slight curve on them, and were fitted so the curve followed the seal outside radius. I think they should be 'reversed' so they partially cover the back of the seal and act to hold the seal from moving towards the flywheel if under pressure. Can anyone provide some input please.

Regards

Jeff
They are to keep the bolts from backing out only. If your engine has enough crankcase pressure to displace the seal, you would have serious problems internally.
They were installed correctly.