L1500 PTO

Mike H

Equipment
L1500
May 19, 2020
Andersonville
Hello All,
I have an L1500 and want to run a brush cutter and or maybe a small tiller but I am unsure how to measure the PTO for a over run clutch system. Also I am not sure on how the PTO actually works it has a knob that is marked hi and low but not sure what its for. I have just been using this for grading my drive but want to do more with it.
Thanks,
Mike

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
I do not run an over run clutch, you will just need to shorten the driveshaft
to compensate for the added length of the clutch system you are using.

Here are the pages from the 185/185DT manual regarding the PTO, similar to the L1500
1.PNG

2.PNG

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If your tractor has the standard six spline PTO shaft any over run clutch should fit. It will add a few inches to the effective length of the PTO so be sure your PTO shaft doesn't end up being too long. You should have a standard 540 rpm PTO. The high - low may be for two different ranges on your transmission.

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
If your tractor has the standard six spline PTO shaft any over run clutch should fit. It will add a few inches to the effective length of the PTO so be sure your PTO shaft doesn't end up being too long. You should have a standard 540 rpm PTO. The high - low may be for two different ranges on your transmission.
the l1500 high low is for transmission speed. How fast you want to go. (Mounted on left side of transmission nearer your feet).

The pto speed is the left shifter (shorter one center) to the speed selector (right center and longer)

up and left on pro selector is 540 @ 3k or so. I’ve only used up and left.

I also have a small tiller for mine and the tiller sits very close to the tractor. With and overrun clutch it was very close to being able to get the shaft on and leave enough overlap of the shafts to provide required strength.

Just know if your tiller is that close you have to more precise with the cutting of the shaft.

with the brush hog your gear box will be much further behind and you won’t need to worry so much about precision.

I’m glad I have a overrun on when I brush hog. Do not like the feeling of pushing in the clutch and still moving forward.

Mike H

Equipment
L1500
May 19, 2020
Andersonville
I do not run an over run clutch, you will just need to shorten the driveshaft
to compensate for the added length of the clutch system you are using.

Here are the pages from the 185/185DT manual regarding the PTO, similar to the L1500
View attachment 59969
View attachment 59970
Thanks for your reply. Is there any way you could send these pages to me for download. I have a manual for the L1500 on disc but it isn't clear and a lot of it is in Japanese.

Mike H

Equipment
L1500
May 19, 2020
Andersonville
So if this thing has a 3 speed PTO as pictured in the attachments which gear should it be run in for bush hogging and which speed for tilling?
Thanks again guys,
Mike

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Your L1500 should have 4 speeds. Mine does anyway . 1st is 540 and that's the one on both your Bush hog and tiller. 4th is 1000 PTO .

Mike H

Equipment
L1500
May 19, 2020
Andersonville
I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply to this question. Your answers have given me the information to move forward with my next little project.

Thanks
Mike

markmorrisonmaui

Equipment
L1500 DT
Nov 14, 2021
Maui Hawaii
the l1500 high low is for transmission speed. How fast you want to go. (Mounted on left side of transmission nearer your feet).

The pto speed is the left shifter (shorter one center) to the speed selector (right center and longer)

up and left on pro selector is 540 @ 3k or so. I’ve only used up and left.

I also have a small tiller for mine and the tiller sits very close to the tractor. With and overrun clutch it was very close to being able to get the shaft on and leave enough overlap of the shafts to provide required strength.

Just know if your tiller is that close you have to more precise with the cutting of the shaft.

with the brush hog your gear box will be much further behind and you won’t need to worry so much about precision.

I’m glad I have a overrun on when I brush hog. Do not like the feeling of pushing in the clutch and still moving forward.
Please, does anyone know the HP from the L1500DT PTO?

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Please, does anyone know the HP from the L1500DT PTO?
Hi, it's 18 hp at the PTO, and yes run the right hand shifter in the 1st gear, I have never had a reason for ours to go any faster than 540, also, that tractor WILL pull a 5' Brush hog, we have gone thru 4 of them so far, and Bota just keeps chugging, we did finally roll back to a 4' mostly to keep the front tires on the ground on our hilly ground, lol.

We also run an over run clutch, so far no issues with a hog, post hole digger, or anything else, however we just got a new tiller so I will see when I get that hooked up.

Cheers

Samantha