L1500 project

cliftyman

Equipment
L1500
May 10, 2016
Bowling Green, KY USA
My first post here.... this is a great site!

I bought a house to remodel and lo and behold sitting outside was a L1500. I haggled with the seller and he sold me the tractor for a discount. The tractor had some issues mainly due to sitting out in the elements for years but I'm trying my best to fix them.

I've had to rebuild the steering box, put on a new fan belt, the fuel tank had to be cleaned and I repaired a pinhole in the bottom of it. I didn't want to attempt starting the tractor until I swapped all fluids and filters (considering how the owner abused it). I've had no issues getting the oil, coolant and fuel system dumped and flushed but I'm to the trans/hydro fluid and I can't find the drain plug or the filter cover? I have a service manual and it doesn't point out the location, it just says "drain the fluid" everytime it mentions servicing anything in that area.

I could start loosening every bolt on the chassis housing I guess and seeing if fluid starts blasting out but I figured you guys could make it a lot easier! Could someone help me find the trans fluid drain plug and filter cover on this L1500? Thanks!

I attached a pic of my progress on the tractor... yeah I know its not Kubota blue on the engine/chassis! TSC doesn't carry Kubota Blue and the Kubota dealer wanted like $40 for a pint of the stuff!

Attachments

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Transmission filter is located on the clutch pedal side of the tractor almost even with the brake linkages. Should be two bolts holding on a cap. It's just a serviceable screen under the cap, shaped like a tube.

There are three or four drain plugs for the tranny. Two on the bottom of the tranny. One directly under gear shift, and the other is under the seat. Then one on the inside of each hub by on the rear axle.

There may only be one plug on the bottom of the tranny.

The fill level plug is on the side of the tranny about even with the clutch pedal. It's usually painted orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cliftyman

Equipment
L1500
May 10, 2016
Bowling Green, KY USA
Thanks for the response!

Dumb question but I was wanting to dump all the old fluid... is it regular practice to drain the fluid via the lowest plug or do I need to open them all up to get all the old fluid out. I hate to ask but there just isn't a lot of reference on the internet for this L1500.

Sorry but this is new to me, I'm the type of guy that just rips stuff apart and figures it out and puts it back together. I've taught myself how to play instruments, remodel houses and fix small engines this way but as I get older I'm realizing that sometimes I little preparation makes getting it back together a little easier!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The lowest plug, plus the two on the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk