L1500 gears grinds

smn

Equipment
l1500
Jun 1, 2012
cleveland
With clutch petal down :Sometimes I can shift with no issues , other times I have to grind my way into gear. Do I need to have a certain rpm to change gears ? Or do I need a new clutch ?

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
As long as your clutch isn't slipping, I would try adjusting the linkage before I jumped on the replace it bandwagon.

Robert

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Of course, i feel I need to ask, you do know these are non-syncro transmissions? meaning you start out in the gear you intend to use, not shift-up from first. not meaning to insult your knowledge but, it has come up more than once.

Oh, glad your here!! Keep asking questions, someone will answer if we can.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
They can be shifted on the fly but you need to match the speed of the gears before shifting. The transmission wasn't designed for it and it's very difficult in these transmissions for a few different reasons. Also each time you make a mistake you're damaging the gears further.

Anyway if it's grinding while your standing still then the clutch isn't being depressed far enough. Like OT said it probably just needs some adjustment. Down on the left you'll find the clutch linkage, loosen the locknut and then lengthen or shorten the linkage til you've got about 3/4 of an inch of free play at the pedal. Free play is the amount of travel before the throw out bearing touches the clutch fingers, it's the point where the petal resistance increases.

smn

Equipment
l1500
Jun 1, 2012
cleveland
No i never try to up shift
always from standstill
I will check linkage and clutch adjustments
Thnks steve

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
A little grinding is normal, especially if you were in neutral with the clutch out, then press the clutch in and shift into a gear. I also usually throttle down before sifting, which helps.