L1500 alternator replaced

KennyMillar

Equipment
L1500DT Tractor with Loader
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
I've had my L1500DT for about 3 months now.
The battery hasn't been charging, and when I tested the alternator there was no voltage at all coming from it. (Energised, bench test).
So I bought a new one from Stavros-Savva and fitted it tonight.
Now, charging voltage at the battery is about 18V at 2000 RPM.

This seems a bit high to me? So I suspect either a wiring issue or the voltage regulator. I can check the wiring but not sure I can test the regulator.
I don't just want to keep firing the parts canon either.

Will a charging voltage of 18V damage my battery?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas

Yes, it will damage it. Normal charging voltage should be about 14 VDC.

I think that there is a wiring issue, which could include the ground (chassis) reference connection.

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland

Yes, it will damage it. Normal charging voltage should be about 14 VDC.

I think that there is a wiring issue, which could include the ground (chassis) reference connection.
Thanks! I will check the wiring next chance I get to work on the tractor.
I found the WSM for the L175 which is pretty similar. It has a good diagram of the alternator and regulator wiring.

Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 08.43.33.png

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Another possible issue is with the mechanical regulator. If the points have gone bad, then too much current could be allowed through the field coil, indicated as a voltage rise.

Not knowing if the regulator is original, it could be possible that the existing regulator has an adjustment setting underneath it.

Besides a direct replacement of a mechanical regulator, there are many solid-state replacements.

Good luck with your project.

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Another possible issue is with the mechanical regulator. If the points have gone bad, then too much current could be allowed through the field coil, indicated as a voltage rise.

Not knowing if the regulator is original, it could be possible that the existing regulator has an adjustment setting underneath it.

Besides a direct replacement of a mechanical regulator, there are many solid-state replacements.

Good luck with your project.
Thank you!
I'm reasonably sure it's the original regulator. I'll try to get some time to strip it down and check.