• L2501

• L3901

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Ok, so I think the L3901 is off my list. I don’t think the extra money is worth the extra horsepower for what I need and possible dpf issues.

Here are the deals my dealer has that I am considering. Both of these units are pretty stock.

BX23slb-r package
L2501hst package - dealer quoted $9500 to add backhoe attachment. When adding the backhoe, a third function, rear hydraulics, top and tilt, etc. it’s easy to push the L2501 near $40k.

Was that the backhoe by itself for $9500? I think my L2501 with backhoe, 3rd function, HST, loaded R4 tires was $28K and change, but that was exactly 2 years ago. I did not get rear remotes, unfortunately.

OK, I guess I could have clicked on the link.

BTW, you can save on some things like a tiller. I bought my 5' tiller from Rural King for about $1700. That's quite a bit less than their quote for a Land Pride tiller.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Trailering an L2501 with backhoe and loader requires a quite large trailer. A BX will go on a small trailer. A B2601 or LX are more suitable machines in some ways, and not so hard to trailer. I agree a skid steer or mini ex would be a lot quicker, but it does sound like you're looking more at a single machine, and you're doing earthworks occasionally, not all day every day.

Personally I'd look closely at the B or LX models, they seem more in the range you'd want, and you can mow the lawns at home with them when not working on house renovations. I'd think hard about a BH v's just renting a mini ex once every couple of years - renting is probably cheaper and will be more pleasant to use. It means one person on the excavator and one on the tractor, which gets a lot more done if you're moving dirt.

Reactions: 1 users

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
You are comparing two completely different machines. It’d be like saying should a buy a 4 cylinder Ford ranger or a powerstroke f350.

Compare the BX to a b2601. The b2601 is the next size up. The lx2610 comes after the b2601.

Size progression, from small to large:
BX > B > LX > L

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
When I was looking at tractors the only thing I didn't like about the L2501 was how you had to engage the PTO on it.......
Heck engaging the PTO is one of my favorite things about the L2501 over my previous tractor. Using the clutch to gradually and smoothly engage something like a mower seems far better than an electro mechanical lever or button that jerks abruptly when engaging.

To the OP I think I'd go with the L2501, unless you're around 6-7,000' or higher elevation.

3rd_Planet

Jul 10, 2021
Arizona
You are comparing two completely different machines. It’d be like saying should a buy a 4 cylinder Ford ranger or a powerstroke f350.

Compare the BX to a b2601. The b2601 is the next size up. The lx2610 comes after the b2601.

Size progression, from small to large:
BX > B > LX > L
Heck engaging the PTO is one of my favorite things about the L2501 over my previous tractor. Using the clutch to gradually and smoothly engage something like a mower seems far better than an electro mechanical lever or button that jerks abruptly when engaging.

To the OP I think I'd go with the L2501, unless you're around 6-7,000' or higher elevation.
My house is at 6500’ elevation... what do I need to consider about the elevation? The dealer right down the road hasn’t mentioned anything.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You’ll lose HP at elevation. Turbos are much preferred at elevation to keep the oxygen flowing at appropriate levels. Fwiw, my house is at 4400 ft.

The L2501 manual talks about Cetane required of 45 and 50 if above 5000 ft. Probably other manuals will say something similar. You can increase Cetane with additives, btw. Powerservice says up to 6 numbers.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Now your changing the question, if your target (what you plan to use this tractor for the most) is small lots in town vs. larger tracts of land. The smaller BX might fit better. The problem is if you ever need to lift much weight or landscape a larger area. The BX will be painfully slow but it too could do the job. (just takes longer...)

It is easier to trailer it around vs. the L2501.

Now for a side rant... Don't tell me it's zero percent finance when the cash price is $1,335 cheaper (stepping off my soap box...)

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
What are everyone’s thoughts on the BX23slb for the jobs I have listed to get me started and then possibly adding a skid steer down the line? The BX23s can be had for about $10k less than the L2501 with backhoe. That’s half of a used skid steer...
BH on the BX is even more limited with reach and bucket capacity. However if you want some idea of what those little machines can do (a lot actually) check out YouTube Tractor Time with Tim. He uses a JD 1025R a bunch which is just a bit bigger than the BX.

You do have a bunch of bucket work to do, and an excavator will always be better at these tasks. These backhoes that are retrofit on a tractor subframe are pretty inferior to a real backhoe or excavator. They only have 1 hydraulic pump pushing flow all cylinders, so you can’t easily swing and dump. I used one after using my M62 and it was complete garbage…yes I am spoiled. That said I almost got a L6060 with a BH…boy am I glad I did not. We are building a house, so I dig all electric/water lines, footings, septic, propane tank holes…it has easily paid for itself (my BH is about $18k if you bought it separate). My propane tank hole was 8 ft deep, 12 ft long, 5 feet wide. Good luck digging it with 7ft backhoe reach….. I am still of the mindset a subframe or 3PT backhoe retrofitted to a standard tractor with its standard hydraulics is a bad idea. That said there are others that get by just fine with it.

You will want to think about the dimensions of all of these tasks before you decide. That RV pad, is it concrete? How large?

I still think the L2501 is a better choice. If it were just your property 1acre maybe the BX. But with the parents and the flips…..

Do you need to trailer the tractor/BH over to the flips? Make sure you have enough trailer.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
At elevation, the simple maths is that you need enough air in the cylinders. The L2501 has no turbo, at higher altitudes it has less air in the cylinders, therefore less power. A turbo machine is compressing the air into the cylinders anyway, and it compresses to the same amount irrespective of outside air pressure. So it won't lose power at altitude.

Basically all turbo machines are DPF. The smallest Kubota machine with a turbo is the LX3310. It's a reasonably new design but seems to be going well so far. Otherwise L3301 is the next step up.

I wouldn't use an L for work around residential property. I think they're a bit big and will make a bit of a mess. Again I'd be looking B or LX for what you describe. A BX in a pinch, but I think they're maybe a bit small for some of your tasks - for example I wouldn't run a rotary cutter on one probably.