L series

L2501 or L3901

• L2501

• L3901

Results are only viewable after voting.

3rd_Planet

Jul 10, 2021
Arizona
First timer here. I’ve narrowed my purchase down to the L series but am wondering your thoughts on noticeable differences between the 2501 and 3901.

1. How much more capable is the 3901 vs 2501? I will be using a loader, box blade, and backhoe for my projects. I know more HP will help with pushing and pulling with the blade and loader, but will more HP also improve the abilities of the backhoe?
2. How big of a concern is dpf on the larger engine?
3. The difference in price is around $6000 more for the 3901 which would bring the setup to the top of my budget. In your opinion is that worth it or is that money best spent on other accessories/functions/implements?

Thanks in advance.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
First timer here. I’ve narrowed my purchase down to the L series but am wondering your thoughts on noticeable differences between the 2501 and 3901.

1. How much more capable is the 3901 vs 2501? I will be using a loader, box blade, and backhoe for my projects. I know more HP will help with pushing and pulling with the blade and loader, but will more HP also improve the abilities of the backhoe?
Be careful there. Pushing and pulling are driven by traction. Traction is about tires and weight. L3901 won't push or pull much more than the L2501 - you only need enough power to spin the wheels, and in low range the L2501 will spin its wheels in most situations. However, more power will let you do some things faster - like dragging a load up a hill faster, or going faster while mowing - those aren't traction limited.

Same on the backhoe and loader. Same hydraulic pump = same capability.

Having said that, I know that the L models do have some size differences - larger wheels somewhere in there, and a larger loader (but is that only on the L4701?)

2. How big of a concern is dpf on the larger engine?
Some people find it very concerning, but I think the reality is that on a tractor it's mostly proving to be no issue. If you don't need the HP then stick with the machine without, why take a risk you don't have to? But if you need the HP then you need the HP. If you do get a DPF machine, then you want to run it higher revs than you might an L2501 - they like to stay warm, whereas a non-DPF machine is happy to idle around the place all day.

3. The difference in price is around $6000 more for the 3901 which would bring the setup to the top of my budget. In your opinion is that worth it or is that money best spent on other accessories/functions/implements?

Thanks in advance.
Probably need more info on what you're doing. The short answer is that if an L2501 can meet all your needs, then an L2501 with implements is a much better buy than an L3901 without implements. But if you can afford either, then an L3901 has more power and is therefore clearly better. :) Some tasks like blowing snow, running 3pt implements (in particular larger mowers) do require horsepower. If you're doing a lot of that, then the higher power machine is better. If you're mostly box blading, moving stuff with the loader, maybe a bit of bush hogging, then probably the L2501 is all you need, although maybe not all that you want.

Reactions: 2 users

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
My advice to anyone buying a tractor is to buy the most HP you can afford. ‘I could use a bigger tractor with more HP’ is a common theme amongst us tractor owners.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
If you have the time, the L2501 will work just fine. It's not going to drive as fast, mow as fast but give it time, it will get the job done.

A tractor without implements is just sad... your budget should include the cost of implements. A grapple, 3rd function, hydraulic top and tilt, should be standard equipment but the implement list is long and expensive!!!

I would be curious about the backhoe on the L3901 since most of the backhoes I've seen or used is normally used at less than 540 PTO speed (like, closer to idle) and that isn't good for the DPF / emission crap.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
...I would be curious about the backhoe on the L3901 since most of the backhoes I've seen or used is normally used at less than 540 PTO speed (like, closer to idle) and that isn't good for the DPF / emission crap.
High RPM also makes the little BH's really jerky. Sometimes finess is required. I tend to work with a lower RPM when around people to avoid machine lunging.

Reactions: 1 user

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
In the same class tractor (such as the L2501, L3301 and L3901), having more horsepower is really needed most for running PTO attachments.

Based on the uses you listed (earthwork), I would be surprised if you got any extra value out of the L3901 over the L2501, especially when the 6k price difference could be spent on more attachments.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Can you provide a more complete list of the tasks you wish to use the tractor and implements with over the next few years.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The L2501 has a major advantage in going slow or idling because it doesn’t have a DPF. I generally lose traction before loss of power with the loader and working dirt.

The L3901 will allow you to go a bit faster in some cases. I see this going uphills with a load in my grading scraper. It’s unclear how much faster the L3901 could go or if it is significant. I don’t have one.

From what others have said the backhoe will be very close to the same. Also, the backhoe is supposedly the most unused implement, but also the most expensive. Renting a walkbehind or mini excavator is probably a cheaper move. Then, you could use your money on the L3901 if you wanted or a L3560LE or L4060LE and get a larger loader as well.

3rd_Planet

Jul 10, 2021
Arizona
Can you provide a more complete list of the tasks you wish to use the tractor and implements with over the next few years.
We’ll be using the tractor at my house, my parent’s house, at rentals we own, and at various other job sites. We flip a house every couple years and seems like we always end up having to grade and make the yards more functional. Here’s a shortlist of projects to be done in the first couple years just at our two houses.

My house: (1 acre)
Grade driveways and spread materials
Dig out and level area by house for large patio
French drains
Sprinkler system for backyard
Spread topsoil
Spread mulch
Build vegetable garden
Dig duck pond
Move snow in winter

Parent’s house: (3 acres)
Grade driveway
Extend driveway to back of property
Install RV pad with hookups
Repair sprinkler system
Thin trees and brush, remove some stumps
Move snow in winter

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies. This community makes Kubota that much more appealing.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
When I was looking at tractors the only thing I didn't like about the L2501 was how you had to engage the PTO on it. I think it will do what your going to do with a tractor and save some money not have the DPF. I came close to buying one and it got sold then I looked at a L4701 and it got sold so I ended up buying a MX-6000 which was a fair amount more money but I think for my use on the farm it will be fine.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
For the jobs you have listed, the L2501 will work...based on my experience. Although I would not like paying it, I would have bought the L3901 if it did not have DPF. I know others have had no issues with the DPF, I just didn't want it. That comes down to personal preference though. I would love to have more PTO power on the L2501, but I get by when I have to run my tiller. I just go slow. For the loader work and backhoe work with the L2501, I have been happy.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
We’ll be using the tractor at my house, my parent’s house, at rentals we own, and at various other job sites. We flip a house every couple years and seems like we always end up having to grade and make the yards more functional. Here’s a shortlist of projects to be done in the first couple years just at our two houses.

My house: (1 acre)
Grade driveways and spread materials
Dig out and level area by house for large patio
French drains
Sprinkler system for backyard
Spread topsoil
Spread mulch
Build vegetable garden
Dig duck pond
Move snow in winter

Parent’s house: (3 acres)
Grade driveway
Extend driveway to back of property
Install RV pad with hookups
Repair sprinkler system
Thin trees and brush, remove some stumps
Move snow in winter

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies. This community makes Kubota that much more appealing.
Yes this helps. A few thoughts.

1. If you are planning on using the equipment more commercially (flipping more homes) you may consider a mini ex instead of that backhoe. A backhoe on a L2501 is good for homeowner tasks, but just isn't a good cost benefit if you need to get work done more efficiently to turn a profit. Control and reach are the issues. You also have no rear creeper control...so every time you have to move that 8ft backhoe safely you need to pull up the outriggers, get back on the main seat, move...you get the idea.. Very inefficient.

2. You have no tasks that a tractor is the best at, except maybe the vegetable garden. The rest of these tasks are much better with a Skid Steer and/or MiniEX. Not saying you need these but they are much better suited to these tasks.

3. I do understand a 1 machine to do it all is sometimes the best option for a person. In this case a tractor will get it done, but it will just take a lot longer. As mentioned you have nothing that requires HP. The L2501 should be fine.

Where in AZ do you get snow? How much?

3rd_Planet

Jul 10, 2021
Arizona
Yes this helps. A few thoughts.

1. If you are planning on using the equipment more commercially (flipping more homes) you may consider a mini ex instead of that backhoe. A backhoe on a L2501 is good for homeowner tasks, but just isn't a good cost benefit if you need to get work done more efficiently to turn a profit. Control and reach are the issues. You also have no rear creeper control...so every time you have to move that 8ft backhoe safely you need to pull up the outriggers, get back on the main seat, move...you get the idea.. Very inefficient.

2. You have no tasks that a tractor is the best at, except maybe the vegetable garden. The rest of these tasks are much better with a Skid Steer and/or MiniEX. Not saying you need these but they are much better suited to these tasks.

3. I do understand a 1 machine to do it all is sometimes the best option for a person. In this case a tractor will get it done, but it will just take a lot longer. As mentioned you have nothing that requires HP. The L2501 should be fine.

Where in AZ do you get snow? How much?
Thanks for the input, you’ve given me some things to think about for sure!

A lot of people don’t believe that Arizona gets snow, but we actually have mountains and lush forests in the state. I live in a town called Show Low which is named after a card game. Go to that Wikipedia page for the legend of the card game. We get a couple feet of snow a year, usually in 4-8” increments but we have had storms of 2-3’ in the past.

Reactions: 1 users

3rd_Planet

Jul 10, 2021
Arizona
What are everyone’s thoughts on the BX23slb for the jobs I have listed to get me started and then possibly adding a skid steer down the line? The BX23s can be had for about $10k less than the L2501 with backhoe. That’s half of a used skid steer...

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
What are everyone’s thoughts on the BX23slb for the jobs I have listed to get me started and then possibly adding a skid steer down the line? The BX23s can be had for about $10k less than the L2501 with backhoe. That’s half of a used skid steer...
I like the thinking here.

This is why I recommended the LX2610 in my post. If you’re looking for something that is more homeowner/landscaping around the yard driven, a BX can be a good fit, or the B2601 or LX2610. These are lighter and more maneuverable and provide the option for a mid mount mower.

With that being said, they are no where as beefy as a L series.

As someone mentioned above, remember the tractor really isn’t going to do anything “the best”. But I find it nice to have one machine that can help me landscape and maintain around the yard, do snow removal and mow the yard.

I have a B2601 TLB with 60” mid mount mower.

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
I did not see if you want a gear drive or HST, but If gear I would go with the L3901 for its live PTO.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I love my BX24TLB but honestly, I haven't found near as many uses for the BH as I thought I would so it sits unused most of the time! Something hardly anyone mentions is the considerable learning curve required to proficiently operate a BH. Looking back I probably would be many dollars ahead to have hired the BH work I needed done and bought a Bx24 instead! It is difficult to compare an estate tractor to a compact tractor but I am always amazed at the work the BX will do and the convenience of it's small size. There also is a whole range of attachments designed for the BX and very few for the L2501. Either machine are super reliable and will give years of service! In fact I often tell people that a BX tractor will probably be the last tractor they ever buy!

3rd_Planet

Jul 10, 2021
Arizona
Ok, so I think the L3901 is off my list. I don’t think the extra money is worth the extra horsepower for what I need and possible dpf issues.

Here are the deals my dealer has that I am considering. Both of these units are pretty stock.

BX23slb-r package
L2501hst package - dealer quoted $9500 to add backhoe attachment. When adding the backhoe, a third function, rear hydraulics, top and tilt, etc. it’s easy to push the L2501 near $40k.