L or LX

jad2u

Jan 17, 2023
NC
was waiting for the LX4020 mostly for the newer trans that is less noisy but seen a L3560 which is a little bigger in size overall.
around a $500 price difference between a LX4020 and a L3560. L3560 is 37HP with 28 at PTO LX4020 is 40HP I think around 31 at PTO.
Tractor will be used to maintain around 40ac mostly wooded with about 8ac in fields, plan to cut some trails in the woods, also debating flail ver rotary.
anyone know if the L3560 has the same trans issue (noise) as the LX3310 which was address in the new LX4020.

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
You might look at both the Grand L3560 and L4060 and both of those in the LE models as well. I believe all of those have the higher end HST Plus transmission that includes a high/low in each of the three low, medium, high ranges. I believe the LX20s have the standard HST like the standard Ls do, if they do, it’d be easy for me to go with one of the Grand Ls for the small price difference.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The Grand L is a much better machine in general. Getting it within close pricing of a similar LX makes the decision easy. Are you sure on your pricing? The Grand L is quite a bit bigger and heavier, so even though HP is similar it'll be a lot more capable. It'll also be working harder to push that weight around, something to watch out for I guess - you're going from the high HP LX to the low HP Grand L. I'd still do it though.

Reactions: 1 users

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
The Grand L is a much better machine in general. Getting it within close pricing of a similar LX makes the decision easy. Are you sure on your pricing? The Grand L is quite a bit bigger and heavier, so even though HP is similar it'll be a lot more capable. It'll also be working harder to push that weight around, something to watch out for I guess - you're going from the high HP LX to the low HP Grand L. I'd still do it though.
The 35 or 40 Hp in the GL won’t have any issues at all with moving the machine around. The first series of GL started with a 30 Hp, now (since the GL 40 series) it’s up to a 35 Hp on the small end.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I did this comparison for BX->L at one point in the past. This comparison includes the B50 model, which was replaced by the LX (and is essentially the same machine in size/weight).

The Grand L is a bit bigger again than the LX.

I also see this video:

The L60 brochure can be found here: https://kubota.ca/products/L60-Series#Downloads
The LX20 brochure can be found here: https://kubota.ca/products/LX20-Series#Downloads

In summary the L60 is 1,520kg (1.5 ton), the LX is 1,200kg. That's a reasonable difference.
Loader lift is 540kg at pivot pin on the L60, 499kg on the LX - not that big a difference. The L4060 is 780kg, which is a big difference, it has a different loader than the L3560.

Specs don't tell all the story, you need to go sit on one and drive it. The Grand L has a much nicer transmission and is quite a lot nicer to use (or so the interwebz tells me, I've never owned either).

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I was debating LX vs L vs Grand L a couple years ago and I'm glad I went with the L3560 LE. If loader work is a big part of your plans for the tractor, then the 3560 or 4060 with the 805 loader is the way to go.

jad2u

Jan 17, 2023
NC
Yea that's just it...I don't believe loader work will be a big part?
This is my first tractor and everything I read talks about the importance of the loader and what it can do.
That said this will be my first and I was hoping my only tractor purchase, I have around 30ac that is mostly wooded, and about 7 ac of fields. So mowing and maybe getting some food plots in and maintained would be the what the tractor is used for mostly?
Also would like to get some trails made in the woods, so I was actually thinking the LX4020 might be a better choice just because of it's size? The GL3560 is quite a bit larger.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
Yea that's just it...I don't believe loader work will be a big part?
This is my first tractor and everything I read talks about the importance of the loader and what it can do.
That said this will be my first and I was hoping my only tractor purchase, I have around 30ac that is mostly wooded, and about 7 ac of fields. So mowing and maybe getting some food plots in and maintained would be the what the tractor is used for mostly?
Also would like to get some trails made in the woods, so I was actually thinking the LX4020 might be a better choice just because of it's size? The GL3560 is quite a bit larger.
Actually, if you add a third function and a grapple which can be really handy in the woods, you could be doing a lot of loader work. I don't have a grapple yet, but it's next on my list. We have 44 acres, 42 of which is woods. It's a recreational property and I've been building our barndominium primarily, and as soon as it's done the next task will be cleaning up the woods and adding trails, etc.

jad2u

Jan 17, 2023
NC
I agree a grapple would be handy grabbing and moving brush piles and the LX can handle one I know a grapple on the LX won't lift any large logs. I'm worried about the size of the L in the woods?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I agree a grapple would be handy grabbing and moving brush piles and the LX can handle one I know a grapple on the LX won't lift any large logs. I'm worried about the size of the L in the woods?
I'm not sure what you are calling large. Watch what GPOutdoors lifts with his LX.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
As per Kubotas published specs the LX4020 is about 101 inches long and 54 inches wide (min). The L4060 is about 122 inches is long and about 67 inches wide (min). Subtract about 7 inches both ways for the L3560. Sure the GL is larger than an LX, but it sure won’t keep you out of the woods. Both my B (the mower) and L (the work horse) spend plenty of time in the woods, no real issues with fitment. And if there is, I cut it down as it’s impinging on the trail anyhow.

The GLs are well over a 1000 lbs heavier than the LX. The weights on the spec sheets do not include the FEL or loaded rear tires. That adds up to at least another 1000 lbs, probably over 1500 lbs on the GLs.

jad2u

Jan 17, 2023
NC
Thanks for all the reply's.... and yep I'm still on the fence between LX4020 and L3560.
I understand the L series is a very solid tractor and so is the LX only a 5Hp difference. Availability on the L seems to be a lot better many dealers have them why are LX4020 harder to find? Are they a better tractor/value? Are they just in higher demand? or just because they are a newer model production has not caught up?
I don't plan on trading it in but does one have better resale then the other?
As you might be able to tell from my post I guess I'm looking for compelling reason to buy one over the other. I wish there was a big cost difference that would help in my decision but that is not the case around 400-500 difference.

WE349a

Sep 6, 2023
California
Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have zero seat hours until tomorrow and have no real world experience yet. I did a lot of research recently, visited the dealership twice and really looked over the L, LX and B/BX. My takeaway is the L is the first model in the lineup that is truly beefy and built for hard work. What you lose is some comfort and in exchange the axles and whole machine is just beefier. The LX is beautiful but by comparison is apparently a lighter duty machine. More ergonomic with the control layout for sure. If buying for ruggedness and longevity, I would guess that’s the L over the LX. The pricing is so similar on all the compacts and subcompacts, the L appears to be the best in terms of solidity for the dollar. The 02 series brings some comfort to the line.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Thanks for all the reply's.... and yep I'm still on the fence between LX4020 and L3560.
I understand the L series is a very solid tractor and so is the LX only a 5Hp difference. Availability on the L seems to be a lot better many dealers have them why are LX4020 harder to find? Are they a better tractor/value? Are they just in higher demand? or just because they are a newer model production has not caught up?
I don't plan on trading it in but does one have better resale then the other?
As you might be able to tell from my post I guess I'm looking for compelling reason to buy one over the other. I wish there was a big cost difference that would help in my decision but that is not the case around 400-500 difference.
I believe that the LX4020, and the rest of the 20 series, are still new and have not been built and distributed in large quantities yet. That is why you don't see a lot of them on the dealer's lot.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
LX20 series is still ”new”. If either the LX or GL will do, the GL is the way to go. The only reason it wouldn’t be is you need the few extra (4.6) PTO Hp the LX has over the GL and you can’t change your price point up to a GL4060 (same PTO Hp as the LX). Both will have nice features (maybe a bit less with the GL if you go with the LE model). The specs I mentioned are presuming you are looking at the open station HST models (which all have 4WD).

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd say the only reasons to go with an LX would be:
- price (if it were materially cheaper)
- trailering/other weight concerns (i.e. you explicitly need a lighter/smaller tractor)
- mid-PTO if you had use for that (mid-mount mower, front mount snowblower)

If you don't have any of those problems, this shouldn't even be a discussion. The Grand-L is a lot more tractor, and unlike the comparison between the LX and the standard L (in which people will point out the standard L is an economy tractor), the Grand L is at least as luxurious as the LX, probably more. The anomaly is that you can find one at the same price as the LX, but if that deal's available to you it's a no brainer. I think you're looking for reasons that you don't need to - the Grand L is bigger, stronger and better in basically every measure. Other than the three things I list at the top, there's no downside.

Reactions: 1 users