L 2350 block heater installation

AC690

Equipment
L2350DT
Nov 12, 2022
Oregon
New to the forum and to actually owning a Kubota. Recently purchased a 95 ish? L2350DT and have been completing much needed fluid changes. Purchased a Kubota block heater part# 70000-73274 along with the threaded sleeve that should be everything but witch freeze plug does it go in? Thinking the forward one on the left would be easiest but is it the middle one or?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
New to the forum and to actually owning a Kubota. Recently purchased a 95 ish? L2350DT and have been completing much needed fluid changes. Purchased a Kubota block heater part# 70000-73274 along with the threaded sleeve that should be everything but witch freeze plug does it go in? Thinking the forward one on the left would be easiest but is it the middle one or?
As far to the rear of the block as possible.

Reactions: 1 user

AC690

Equipment
L2350DT
Nov 12, 2022
Oregon
Not sure there is enough clearance even for the middle freeze plug to fit the starter back on. Anybody have a 2350 with a block heater installed? I know from previous block heater installation on other vehicles there was specifically one location and orientation for the element. Would rather not reinvent the wheel if someone knows for sure?

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
The way the heating element is it does not matter the orientation of it. On my LX2610 the only option was next to the oil filter on the front left side.
It's as I recall a 17mm hex bit for the freeze plug and a 1-3/8" socket for the heater.
Make sure you get it tight even with pipe dope it hade to be about 100 flbs to prevent drips.
The heater draws 400 watts when on.
I had a post about installing it if I find it I will link it.
See posts #8 & 11 on this thread https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/cold-weather-starting-problems.55665/#post-519486

AC690

Equipment
L2350DT
Nov 12, 2022
Oregon
Thanks Daferris, totally makes sense the orientation would not matter on a screw in element. The oil filter on my tractor is on the right front of the engine below the injection pump. There are no threaded plugs anywhere on this engine to pull and replace with the block heater, that would be way too easy. Have to replace one of the freeze plugs with a press in adapter that the heater would then thread into. I will try the Kubota dealership again see if I can get them to look it up for me or find a mechanic that remembers the mid 90’s?

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Thanks Daferris, totally makes sense the orientation would not matter on a screw in element. The oil filter on my tractor is on the right front of the engine below the injection pump. There are no threaded plugs anywhere on this engine to pull and replace with the block heater, that would be way too easy. Have to replace one of the freeze plugs with a press in adapter that the heater would then thread into. I will try the Kubota dealership again see if I can get them to look it up for me or find a mechanic that remembers the mid 90’s?
If your motor has only press in freeze plugs then I strongly suspect that the proper block heater for it is a press in type with a toggle bolt style retainer to hold it in the block.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Talk to the parts department at your Kubota dealer. They can tell you the prefered location for the block heater. On our M4500, the core plug is removed and an interference fit steel fitting is driven into the block and the block heater screws into that.

AC690

Equipment
L2350DT
Nov 12, 2022
Oregon
Toggle style are nothing like what I am talking about. This is a factory Kubota block heater and a factory Kubota press in threaded adapter to mount the block heater in the block. Google it. I know a block heater can be installed in any liquid cooled engine. I was just hoping to find someone that has a L2350 and actually knew for sure what freeze plug it went into so I didn’t knock out the wrong one.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Since you're installing a block heater, consider putting a 'battery blanket' in as well. Batteries HATE the cold, lose a LOT of energy so trying to start engine is a huge stress on then.

AC690

Equipment
L2350DT
Nov 12, 2022
Oregon
Ok finally got it figured out. The correct Kubota block heater for the L2350 is part# 70000-00297 and the assembly comes with the sleeve to drive into freeze plug hole and thread heater into. It fits a bunch of different tractors and most everything with the D1102 motor looks like. Found a mechanic at one Kubota dealer that remembered the mid 90’s and said they installed them in place of the left front freeze plug. Knocked left front plug out drove in the sleeve threaded it in and works like a champ. I keep my diesel pickup block heater on a timer to turn on a couple hours before I leave for work but like others have said this only needs 15-30 minutes and fired right up at around 30 Fahrenheit.

Attachments

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
If you want you might consider something like this to make it easier to plug in the extension cord.
Also it has a cover to keep the plug clean. I fab'ed a bracket to attach mind to an existing hole on the loader bracket....

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Thanks for posting this information and installation pics. I have the same tractor and have contemplated doing the same. Now I know what to order and how to do it. (y)

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Very nice install.
I had to chuckle at the instructions regarding leaks however.

1669891261744.png

AC690

Equipment
L2350DT
Nov 12, 2022
Oregon
Very nice install.
I had to chuckle at the instructions regarding leaks however.

View attachment 91484
LOL, always have to check for leaks but you know how it is if it didn't specifically say you should fix leaks it would be the tractors fault you cooked it.
Few hours plowing snow so far no leaks all fluids are at operating level and fires up happily after plugging in for 15 minutes!

Last edited: