L 225 split apart

tcbro

Equipment
L185, Woods L59 mower, rear blade, L-225, Kubota FEL
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
OK, I have my L 225 split between the trans and the flywheel housing. I've replaced the trashed reverse gear and will be replacing the clutch disk. A few questions have arisen;
The end of the main shaft does not go into the pilot bushing. It has a finished appearance but will not reach and the diameter is too large to fit in the pilot bushing in the flywheel (see pic, hopefully). Is this normal?? I have never seen a transmission main shaft that ends after the clutch disk. There is no support at the forward end of the shaft. This doesn't seem right to me but the shaft doesn't look broken, on the contrary, it looks finished off properly. Has anybody come across this type of thing before? Vic?

Also, the pressure plate and flywheel showed a few small hot spots but not enough to replace them. Whats the best thing to use to clean up those surfaces??

One more, does this model have a screen in the trans that needs to be cleaned?

Hope the pic posts,
Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

tcbro

Equipment
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
Well, that's my thought but it looks "finished" not broken. You can even see the guide hole in the end for the lathe. What model is your picture of?

Tom

tcbro

Equipment
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
I was hoping Vic would chime in here and let me know if I have a problem.

Tom

tcbro

Equipment
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
Thanks for the response, Vic. I appreciate the input. I'm glad to hear you say that the shaft looks right but I'm surprised to hear that it should ride in a bearing/bushing. It honestly doesn't look like it will reach. Add to that the fact that the surface of the shaft that is available to ride in a bearing is only about 1/4" long. My first, rough measurments tell me that the shaft diam. is too big to fit in the recess available. Everything is covered in cluth-colored dust. I'll clean it all up and take a closer look when I can get back to it.

Thanks again,
Tom

tcbro

Equipment
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
OK, regarding the shaft, here's what I measured before I started putting it back together.

Shaft end is 20mm diameter, "pilot bushing" measures 15mm diam. In addition to that, the shaft protrudes 7/16" past the plane of the mating face of the trans case and the face of the "pilot bushing" is recessed 11/16" from the mating face of the flywheel cover.

There is no way that shaft goes into the flywheel, it won't fit and it won't reach. It is cantilevered out there in space.

Tom

tcbro

Equipment
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
I've already put the 2 halves together, Vic. Still hooking up odds and ends and I still have to align the shifter forks and put the shifter plate on. I'm not looking forward to that, too much like juggling.

I was concerned about aligning the clutch for reassembly but I made a clutch alignment tool out of a couple of 1/2" drive sockets, a large bolt and some electrical tape. It worked like a dream!

I bought the tractor with the transmission problems so I really don't know that it was "working fine the way it was", I'll have to let you know about that.

Tom

tyrepros

Equipment
L175, Woods mower, Aerator, rake, kids rides
May 4, 2009
Freehold, NJ USA
Keep us posted on the finer points as this seems to be common one for anyone ridin on of those horses. How did you align and support the halves and any pics would surely entertain.