L 175 Steering Box

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Well $&#*$(,

I was mowing the yard this evening, (after putting on a new belt and idler sheaves), when the steering went out on my L175. The tractor will turn to the right, but when you turn the wheel to the left the steering shaft seems to unscrew itself and climb out of the ballnut with the wheels pointing straight ahead, (approximately).

The shaft will screw itself back into the ballnut to make another left hand turn.

I said to myself, "Self, it's a tractor; steer with the brakes," the only problem with that idea is when the left brake pedal is depressed the clutch disengages also.:confused:

After a circuitous journey around several trees in the yard I got it parked back in its spot in the barn; of course it was getting dark by then. I will be tearing it apart tomorrow to see what parts I will need to order; if the big rain storm misses us.

I have a parts manual for it on pdf, and I have read the articles here and on newlandsgroundcare.com; rebuilding the steering box looks tedious, but doable; and maybe expensive.

The worst part is I will have to finish mowing the yard with the old riding mower:eek:.

Robert

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Do not worry about it, that steering gearbox will be a walk in the park.

Hell, I'd rather rebuild a steering gearbox than spend time with my in-laws any day of the week :cool:

Scott

Last edited:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I like that, I'm not the only one who talks to myself in the third person. See, dear?:cool:
Third person is boring. Fourth and fifth is where the best conversations are. Not to mention really good debates and arguments :rolleyes:

Scott

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Well the good news is we got it apart, except for the lower bearing race; and my daughter is still talking to me. The steering sector, shaft and ballnut are good.

The bad news is both upper and lower bearings are shot, and I need a new gearbox. One hairline crack about four inches long, no problem patching it with JB weld; the other crack goes through three bolt holes and has a triangular shaped piece about 3/16" by 3/8" missing around one of the bolt holes. That is a little more than I want to try to repair with JB weld.

I will try to find a gear box, since I really don't want to have to buy a complete steering assembly.

Robert

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Perhaps try Wengers in PA. They are a tractor salvage parts business.
Thanks Joshua, I'll try them. After looking at this gear box some more I am going to try to JB weld it.

After a suitable application of heat and penetrating oil I managed to get the lower bearing race out. I tried making the tool like on newlandsgroundcare.com, but my heat treating skills were lacking, or it could be because i was out of oxygen and had to use a propane torch. I used a couple of carraige head bolts for prying tools; starting with a 3/16", then moving to a 1/4" bolt. I used a deep well socket just big enough for the bolt to slide into with an extention for leverage. I did bend a few bolts before it broke loose. The round head worked very well for a fulcrum, once the race started to move, it was just a matter of getting a large enough bite to get it all the way out.

Robert