KX161 Electrical Issue

jgexcavation

Equipment
KX161, L5030
May 17, 2013
North Stonington CT U.S.
Hi, I have a 2006 KX161 with 3000 hours. Recently it has developed an electrical issue. It first started when I had started the machine and there were no lights on the control panel (intellipanel?). Also, the engine speed control knob didn't work and the engine could only be run at idle. The next time I attemped to start the machine it wouldn't start at all. Again there were no lights on the control panel but this time the starter did not turn or even click. I can hear what I belive is the fuel pump running with the key on but it will not turn over. I have cleaned the battery connections, charged the battery, and checked the fuses (visually). Please help. Thanks, John

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Sounds like a bad ground. Check your negative cable by setting a multimeter for continuity and holding the leads on either end of the cable and wiggling it. Make sure the leads have a good connection. If it's not the battery ground there could be one up under the dash panel.

It could also be your key switch is going bad. Pull that out and check it with a multimeter. Just guessing here but they're all pretty much the same. Usually you've got 4-5 terminals. One is always hot from the battery. One is the starter relay circuit. One is the accessory position which should be hot anytime the key isn't off. The final two are glow plug circuits. One for the prestart glow position and one for the cranking position. Figure out which is which and see if the key isn't working properly.

Either could explain your symptoms.

jgexcavation

Equipment
KX161, L5030
May 17, 2013
North Stonington CT U.S.
Thanks so much for the response. The issue has resolved itself. I can't say that I did anything to fix it except to pull apart and push back together every connector I could see. I had power-washed everything and i was concerned about water. Didn't find water but maybe a little corrosion was causing the problem. Thanks for the help. John