kx080-4 REGEN

NCDIVER

Equipment
L3700, KX080-4
Dec 7, 2023
Fayetteville NC
I have a 2017 Kubota Kx080-4. Today I noticed during the regen that it is saying NORMAL DPF REGEN HIGH EXHAUST TEMP WORK NORMALLY. However on the second screen it says ENGINE POWER LIMITED. I have never seen it say that before. Is something wrong?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
just from other's comments on 'DPF systems'......you'll have less engine power DURING the 'regen' process ??

If so, then you can still use the machine, just won't have 100% power ??

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
just from other's comments on 'DPF systems'......you'll have less engine power DURING the 'regen' process ??

Seems like that is "normal" reduced power, during regen.
I do not have DPF, but I would conclude from the wording that NOTHING is wrong.

NCDIVER

Equipment
L3700, KX080-4
Dec 7, 2023
Fayetteville NC

I understand. I have had the machine for about 10 months now. I have seen it regen about 4 times. This is the first time it said REDUCED POWER. The regen finished and everything seems normal.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
well good to know it's 'up and running' !
My guess is that the DPF is more clogged than before and the 'computer' has 'tweaked' the engine to get more power to clean the filter,so YOU have less to operate with.
From posts here, running the engine at a higher speed is better. Low RPM will clog the filter sooner,so more regens.

NCDIVER

Equipment
L3700, KX080-4
Dec 7, 2023
Fayetteville NC
well good to know it's 'up and running' !
My guess is that the DPF is more clogged than before and the 'computer' has 'tweaked' the engine to get more power to clean the filter,so YOU have less to operate with.
From posts here, running the engine at a higher speed is better. Low RPM will clog the filter sooner,so more regens.
I run my machine at half the max rpm. It gives me plenty of power and sips fuel. I'm digging a pond and loading the dirt so 95% of the time I'm stationary. That does make sense about the extra clogging. When it goes to regen, I turn to max rpm.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
For the longest interval between regens, you want high EGT and minimum particulate matter so it is a balancing act between RPM and engine load. You don't want it running at governed RPM for long periods with light loads because EGT and thus DPF temperature drop but excessive load at low RPM is worse due to the higher fuel to air ratio resulting in greater particulate generation. Think of what operating conditions caused visible darker exhaust from a non-emissions diesel and those are the conditions you want to minimize.

I am not sure how Kubota sizes the DPF on their various machines but in many cases some passive regen occurs in operation if engine loading is sufficient to get the DPF to a temperature where it can incinerate some of the trapped particulate matter.

During an active regen, operating conditions are changed so that there is excessive fuel in the exhaust causing the DPF to burn it and create sufficient temperature for particulate incineration to take place. Some manufacturers inject some fuel on the exhaust stroke while a better approach is a separate injector in the exhasut stream to introduce the fuel after the engine avoiding cylinder washdown and oil diluition. During active regen, air intake is often restricted by a valve to further enrich the exhaust and this will result in reduced engine power from normal maximum but it is small enough that normally it wouldn't be noticed; in cases where there is no extra injector to provide the additional fuel for regen then it is sometimes necessary to limit power to keep EGT in check and this is particularly true with turbocharged engines where the turbo will be exposed to excessive temperature if fuel combustion is occuring in the exhaust from firing injectors on the exhaust stroke.

Although PDF regen across applications is intended to not require operators to change behavior, once a regen starts it is best to let it finish instead of splitting it across multiple operating cycles. In general, moderate load and RPM works well during a normal active regen. I have found with my GMC pickup that it will complete a regen in less time running around 60 MPH on a rural road compared to running at 75 on the interstate.

Rodger