KX080-3 Hydraulic Power Loss

huffmanmb

Equipment
KX080-3
Nov 21, 2015
Gig Harbor, Washington
I have a KX080-3 with around 1500 hours. Recently had a Rockhound FX36 cutter head installed. When the cutting head is engaged, I have substantial loss of lifting power on the main boom function. No loss on any other function but main boom. I have been told by the dealer and the attachment manufacturer that there is nothing that can be done. I am wondering if the cutting head or the boom pressure can be adjusted so the attachment isn't robbing all my lift capacity. Any suggestions?:confused:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a KX080-3 with around 1500 hours. Recently had a Rockhound FX36 cutter head installed. When the cutting head is engaged, I have substantial loss of lifting power on the main boom function. No loss on any other function but main boom. I have been told by the dealer and the attachment manufacturer that there is nothing that can be done. I am wondering if the cutting head or the boom pressure can be adjusted so the attachment isn't robbing all my lift capacity. Any suggestions?:confused:

If I am not mistaken - the boom pressure will be the same as all the other cylinders in the system. One pump runs all the hydraulics, so all pressures would be the same, UNLESS there is an obstruction in that line or a spool/valve problem.

SO - it lifted the cutter fine, and now there is a problem? Is there any difference cold vs hot? Oil been changed recently?

Does this cutter use more fluid than the pump can pump? If you run it a WOT, does anything change?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
My Guess!
How much oil flow do you have programmed to the auxiliary circuit?
Is it running off the main pumps, if so it uses more than half of the total output for the cutter which will reduce output to main boom.
From spec sheet -
Adjustable Maximum oil flow on Auxiliary Circuit SP1
Double auxiliary circuit for accessories
Auxiliary switch SP1 on right control lever
Auxiliary switch SP2 on left control lever

Can you try it on the SP2?
Unfortunately SP2 is slightly low on specs but worth a try which would leave main pumps for booms.
Main boom would likely have the biggest cylinder so lower flow will be noticed most I expect.

Last edited: