KX-040 shutdown, crank, no start, no code visible.

JoeKepner

Equipment
KX-040-4
Jul 20, 2023
Bremerton WA
D1803-7LV8911 engine. 2020

Read tons of post regarding kx-040 fuel problems, and SCV problem. This one is unique as it appears to have been a computer commanded shutdown and I have no codes displaying. I have not moved beyond the Suction control valve yet. I can turn wrenches, But was hoping buying a new machine would extend the time until I suddenly have to learn to diesel mechanic but alas, here we are 7 months after warranty with a machine stuck deep in the woods on hill.

Okay so I haven't had any engine issues with this machine. It only has 550 hours on it. I did recently do the 500 maintenance which included the fuel filter. Water in my fuel has been pretty consistent with my last fuel loadout but draining the Seperator has been working to avoid operational issues.

On this particular day I had started the machine up, trammed over to swap out the buckets and then headed up to where I was going to work for the day(Lets say, 20 mins of running that day).

I had positioned myself on the side of a hill which involved some various rocking around and over and angles but nothing crazy. After getting myself leveled and taking a couple light swipes at the dirt, the engine turned off, there was a brief message that said "sys error?" on the screen. I turned the key off right away. Turned the key back on, everything looked normal, glow plug cycle, no codes, no abnormal lights (Just the battery and low oil pressure light), Proceeded to crank, oil light clears but never starts, no sign of fuel delivery during cranking.

Initial inspection showed about a half full water separator which I drained. No change. The next day I pulled the fuel filter and dumped the contents and there was water, So it would probably be safe to assume that rocking the machine around to get where I needed to get to may have caused an injection of water past the fuel filter.

Purged all that, the best I could, including all the way to the first mechanical fuel pump.
Tried cranking again, no luck, tried cranking while manually pumping the primer on fuel pump, no luck. I can feel the pumping via the hand primer as well during cranking.

I remove the suction control valve, confirmed that fuel was getting to the suction control valve. SCV vibrated/hums, as I'm use to hearing when turning key from run to off.
The manual I have for this engine states that the resistance of that SCV should be 2.1 ohms.
My meter(fluke77) zeros at 0.2-0.3 ohms and the SCV reads 3.0(so 2.7ohms if you subtract my zero) now sitting here at the computer. My manual doesn't give me a range of acceptability so I'm curious what y'all think of that. The manual I'm looking at is KisC issued 12, 2018 A. Could be the wrong manual.

SCV is open (passes air through it). From what I understand after reading the good books, this valve closes down with a PWM voltage signal around 12 volts which "checks with chart" after feeling it vibrate.

going to head back and reinstall the SCV and try again, I'm thinking it is not the problem. Next I would like to purge and flush the fuel system all the way to the injectors but not sure how to approach that.

How much does it cost to have a tech come out normally to do basic troubleshooting and computer magic?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
D1803-7LV8911 engine. 2020

Read tons of post regarding kx-040 fuel problems, and SCV problem. This one is unique as it appears to have been a computer commanded shutdown and I have no codes displaying. I have not moved beyond the Suction control valve yet. I can turn wrenches, But was hoping buying a new machine would extend the time until I suddenly have to learn to diesel mechanic but alas, here we are 7 months after warranty with a machine stuck deep in the woods on hill.

Okay so I haven't had any engine issues with this machine. It only has 550 hours on it. I did recently do the 500 maintenance which included the fuel filter. Water in my fuel has been pretty consistent with my last fuel loadout but draining the Seperator has been working to avoid operational issues.

On this particular day I had started the machine up, trammed over to swap out the buckets and then headed up to where I was going to work for the day(Lets say, 20 mins of running that day).

I had positioned myself on the side of a hill which involved some various rocking around and over and angles but nothing crazy. After getting myself leveled and taking a couple light swipes at the dirt, the engine turned off, there was a brief message that said "sys error?" on the screen. I turned the key off right away. Turned the key back on, everything looked normal, glow plug cycle, no codes, no abnormal lights (Just the battery and low oil pressure light), Proceeded to crank, oil light clears but never starts, no sign of fuel delivery during cranking.

Initial inspection showed about a half full water separator which I drained. No change. The next day I pulled the fuel filter and dumped the contents and there was water, So it would probably be safe to assume that rocking the machine around to get where I needed to get to may have caused an injection of water past the fuel filter.

Purged all that, the best I could, including all the way to the first mechanical fuel pump.
Tried cranking again, no luck, tried cranking while manually pumping the primer on fuel pump, no luck. I can feel the pumping via the hand primer as well during cranking.

I remove the suction control valve, confirmed that fuel was getting to the suction control valve. SCV vibrated/hums, as I'm use to hearing when turning key from run to off.
The manual I have for this engine states that the resistance of that SCV should be 2.1 ohms.
My meter(fluke77) zeros at 0.2-0.3 ohms and the SCV reads 3.0(so 2.7ohms if you subtract my zero) now sitting here at the computer. My manual doesn't give me a range of acceptability so I'm curious what y'all think of that. The manual I'm looking at is KisC issued 12, 2018 A. Could be the wrong manual.

SCV is open (passes air through it). From what I understand after reading the good books, this valve closes down with a PWM voltage signal around 12 volts which "checks with chart" after feeling it vibrate.

going to head back and reinstall the SCV and try again, I'm thinking it is not the problem. Next I would like to purge and flush the fuel system all the way to the injectors but not sure how to approach that.

How much does it cost to have a tech come out normally to do basic troubleshooting and computer magic?
"Cost" is something you will have to ask the dealer about.
Hourly rate, plus travel time/or service call fee?