Kurt Mill Vise Swivel Base?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I know it's along shot, but does anyone have a 6" Kurt Mill Vise Swivel Base they want to get rid of?
I keep running into jobs that need the vise angled. I have been doing them by indicating in a sine bar in the jaws, but it would be a lot easier just to loosen two bolts, pivot the vise right or left, and go.
Thanks in advance.

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
Been turning handles,dials, magnetic pulse generators,manual,CNC,EDM,Lazers, water cutting jets, since 1970, going to retire very soon,maybe this week. I know what you are talking about but don't know where to get one. Try ebay, Facebook marketplace, Kurt is good stuff, not cheap, good luck. Been a good trade and good career. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I have.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks, I'm still enjoying it, doing some of my own stuff; it's about all that keeps me sane these days.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Eboy has a bunch, but most claim to be for the Kurt, but are obviously import, or at least nothing I can solidly ID as genuine Kurt.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
you pay for a Kurtz........ no such thing as a cheap one.

also no such thing as a good substitute if you really need it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If you need angles you might want to consider a rotary table.
I have two.
But setting up a vise on top of a rotary table is even more work than indicating a sine bar in the vise.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I see there is some swivel bases for Kurt on ebay. Might keep your eye on that. Have you considered making your own? You have got the equipment to do it. Might have to make up your own rules so to speak, but it is possible.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I see there is some swivel bases for Kurt on ebay. Might keep your eye on that. Have you considered making your own? You have got the equipment to do it. Might have to make up your own rules so to speak, but it is possible.
If my time was my own, I probably would, and I would enjoy the project.
For instance, I spent a little more than 2 full days this past week researching, buying, & transporting a body lift crane & sling for my FIL, who has fallen three times recently, and is 188lbs of dead weight, usually in the most awkward places to lift. My old back can longer deadlift that kind of load from a bent at the waist position.

I saw the eboy ones. (post #4)
I'm watching a couple right now on the bay. One of the bay problems is that more than half of them SAY they are for a Kurt 6", but are actually import, which may or may not fit. If they don't, then you have to deal with return shipping & all that stuff.
Also, there are some apparently Kurt bases (casting numbers are right) that are only graduated in 5 degree increments- I want one degree increments.
One thing I don't understand is some (including 8" sizes) have shipping in the $25 range, while others want $85+. A little gouging on shipping perhaps?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Sorry to hear about your FIL. Now I understand the time situation.

One thing you can be sure of is, if it is a Kurt product it is top shelf.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I scored the one I wanted. (y)
Now I just have to wait for it.
Will post when I get my paws on it.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, crap. The swivel base came in today, and it is not a Kurt base.
The seller insisted it came off a Kurt, and said the center pivot was 1.000 diameter.
The center pivot is .984 (25mm), the diameter of the graduated ring is wrong, and the "0" mark would be up under the vise where is can't be seen. It is obviously an import, not a Kurt.
Seller's page states he will refund price, ($57) but buyer will pay return shipping. ($85)
That means I will be out $170 with nothing to show for it.
Eboys policy seems to state if item is not as described, seller must return purchase price, shipping, and pay return shipping. Have not checked into this further, still stewing about it.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Ouch! Never tested eBay on that policy but keep us informed on what happens. Good luck Bill!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, I contacted eboy, and they asked for the reasons of how it didn't match the seller's description.
Sent them a PM explaining the wrong size center plug, the wrong location of the "zero" mark, and the wrong diameter of the graduated ring. It is definately NOT a Kurt Base.

They immediately PMed me back saying return shipping would be paid by the seller, and sent me a return shipping invoice and label. Money will be returned to my ppal account upon his receipt of the item.

It's packaged back in the original packing, and ready to go out on Monday.

That was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

I still don't have a swivel base, but at least I'm not out a pile of cash for something I can't use.

The search continues.

I plan on contacting Kurt directly, and I will try to get a casting number or something to stop this from happening again.
Maybe I will just buy a new one from them. They're only $427 + shipping.o_O:eek:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
As I buy stuff off of eBay quite often this is good to hear. That price for a new Kurt base really doesn’t make me flinch. The shipping might be the deciding factor, though

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
OK, the non Kurt base is on its way back to the seller.
Contacted Kurt and found out the model # of my vise is actually a casting number on the underside.
Then they gave me the casting # of the bases that will fit mine, to prevent ID problems in the future.
Then they offered to sell me a new one, $476, but with free shipping.
I checked for sales or scratch & dents, and got chuckled at.

Did another eboy search & found a newly listed KURT base, with correct numbers, used, but in excellent condition, and with a fresh, very professional paint job. With new bolts & center plug.
It was pricy, especially with shipping & taxes, ($334 total) but I'm tired of screwing around with this, so it's on the way, already shipped.
s-l1600.jpg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bill- certainly hope your heading in the right direction now. Best wishes you get what you want this trip!

Thing just looks of high quality and “precise.” I can see why they’d be spendy.

10 days ago I returned a new laptop to Amazon seller. Thing had Gremlins.

Never return stuff, let alone stuff bought on internet.

Came from Oregon, so took a while to send back there from NYS.

Just got an email today that refund should process in a couple days. Glad your return worked in similar fashion.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Bill- certainly hope your heading in the right direction now. Best wishes you get what you want this trip!

Thing just looks of high quality and “precise.” I can see why they’d be spendy.

10 days ago I returned a new laptop to Amazon seller. Thing had Gremlins.

Never return stuff, let alone stuff bought on internet.

Came from Oregon, so took a while to send back there from NYS.

Just got an email today that refund should process in a couple days. Glad your return worked in similar fashion.
Same here, never returned anything on the bay before, but it was pretty painless.

Seller kept claiming that it came from a machinist who had it bolted under a Kurt mill vise for 20 years.
Even after I explained why it would not work & was not a Kurt product, he kept on insisting it would work for mine.
I finally told him that you could bolt the vise on top of a pastrami sandwich, but that didn't make the pastrami sandwich a Kurt swivel base. He stopped protesting. :)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Base came in today, 2 days early, and it is a gem! Slipped right into place, and it's as smooth as silk.
Makes my old vise look absolutely filthy.
I'll need to upgrade my base-to- table bolts at some point; had no 5/8" t nuts, so the 1/2" t nuts & bolts will have to do for now.
IMG_0027.JPG

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Thanks for the update, Bill! So far I have never needed to rotate my vise but if the day comes, I will go the same route you did. Can’t go wrong with Kurt. Great quality stuff!