Kubota zd21 with intermittent sputtering

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Figured I'd post info for anyone who might have had this problem.

My mower started just fine. I'd mow for a few minutes, then it would drop RPM to barely running, and sometimes would stall out. I could mow the yard with this happening about 5-6 times. It only lasted for a few seconds, then would pick up again and run fine.

As I searched online I came across everything from fuel pump to blowing out the lines to replacing the fuel filters. I did it all, short of replacing the fuel pump, but nothing seemed to help.

I disconnected the fuel line to where it went into the engine, the last piece, and turned on the pump to prime it into a cup. It would blow bubbles, then the second fuel filter would fill up and it would blow a steady stream of diesel. I reconnected the fuel line, and started the mower. I could see bubbles entering the top fuel filter and the fuel level gradually going down. When it was nearly empty it would sputter.

I replaced the 3 pieces with 5/16" fuel line between the engine, two fuel filters, and fuel pump, with no luck. Finally I broke down and replaced the long piece between the tank and the first fuel filter. Doing that is a bit more involved, as you have to remove the fender. To do so you need a single 13mm socket. There's 4 bolts connecting the fender on the top, and one on the under side. You need to remove the 4 nuts holding down the rubber boot on the lever, then remove the 2 bolts holding the lever on. Once the lever is off, just work the fender off, then you have access to the fuel tank.

There's 2 hoses in the fuel tank, wrapped with a protective hose. I could see where it went into the fuel tank the hose was in bad shape. I disconnected it, then used a 5/16" brass barb connector to connect the new hose to the old hose. Then on the bottom I just pulled the old hose through. Attached the new hose to the tank and bottom fuel filter, and primed it up.

Started the engine, and the top fuel filter stayed full, no more air bubbles.

This process took less than 30 minutes, and was fairly easy as far as repairs go. Tools used was 13mm socket, pliers, 5/16" barbed coupler, and 6' of 5/16" hose. And a screwdriver to get the old stubborn hoses off. I had about a foot of hose left, so you could probably get away with 5', but I wanted to play it safe as hose is cheap and if i came up short I'd have to make another trip to the hardware store.