Kubota U35-4 after one year

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Bought a brand new 2017 U35-4 last year about this time.

I still love that thing. It doesn't have a scratch on it after 78 hours of operation except the final drive housings obviously get scratched from rocks and dirt.

Pull small trees from middle of neglected gravel road on property
Dig up a few stumps
Cut a trench for water line
Plow snow in winter (worked much better than I thought it would)
Dig 4.5 foot deep holes for pole barn posts
Lift and insert 20 foot poles into above holes
Cut new road through forest

It is just fun every time I hop on it. Very glad I went orange.

Attachments

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Great report.

I had to rent a little K008 to put in a new sewer line and I was amazed at what that little thing could do.

It sure saved a lot of digging and my back plus I finished in 1 day.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
great review. I wish there was more commentary about their "construction" level stuff vs mostly ag.

While I love my 4060, I'll probably be looking to get into either an SSV75 or an SVL75 in the future as well as either a U35 or similar tonage non-zero tail swing. reason being the better side digging and little more digging leverage. I recently rented a bobcat E35 with 2900 hours on it. it performed well considering it was a little loose and sloppy in some respects, but my biggest eye opening from it was that it hated being sideways at all, even up close. trenched close to 1000 feet with it in 3 days. I entertained buying it from them. it wasn't a cab, some good dings, but it was in running shape and I'm a rancher, would never need a new machine. so I figured I'd ask what it would take to buy it. he responded with no less than 26,000 bucks. obviously I walked. I wouldn't be far off a new one for that, at 0% no less, with warranty and no hours but my own.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
I would definitely go new on the U35 vs a bobcat E35 with 2900 hours on it...plus...rental machine!

You can get into a U35 new for not that much more than what they were asking.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
what did you pay if you don't mind me asking Jfet
U35-4R1 Straight Blade , 12", 24", Thumb and Quick coupler includes Cash rebate $39,000.00 + Tax

We paid cash and didn't take the financing, not sure if that made much difference.

Probably if you only went with the standard 24" bucket and didn't get the thumb and QC (but I love the thumb and QC) you could get in for about $36,000? Unless they have gone up in price since last year...

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
how smooth is the cabin turn when running wide open on throttle? I found the E35 was very jerky with just that motion when trenching, no matter how easy I was with it. curious if this is brand specific, or just not accustomed to the machine or wear on some component being that it was so high in hours.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
how smooth is the cabin turn when running wide open on throttle? I found the E35 was very jerky with just that motion when trenching, no matter how easy I was with it. curious if this is brand specific, or just not accustomed to the machine or wear on some component being that it was so high in hours.
Do you mean the rotation of the whole unit on the swing bearing? My U35-4 is very smooth with that but maybe you mean something else?

I am pretty easy on the controls and prefer to ease into moves to try and prolong the life of all the bearings and surfaces. This is probably one reason why a owner machine is >>> rental machine. I would imagine someone on a rental would just beat the ... out of it.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
yes the operator cabin rotation, not the boom. the boom on the bobcat I used seemed nice and tight but the cabin rotation was ridiculously rapid with a light touch even at lower RPM and had a lot of back and forth play when you stopped it's movement. it made for a slightly messy pile over the course of the thousand foot plus I trenched with it. anything you would change or add to your order over what you got if you had to do over?

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
I would not change anything on my order except I kind of wish I had a third bucket with a smooth lip (no teeth) for finish work.

I definitely like not having to worry about DEF so the U35 was about the biggest I could go toward that. I have not really found it undersized for anything I am doing but I have never sat in a U55.