Kubota Tool-N-Go

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Apparently Kubota uses several different size tubing on various tractors.
My L48 TLB has a 4-1/2" tube, which requires some method of reducing the interior of the tube ends for a 4" Oatey plug.
The only thing to "figure out", is if there is an Oatey plug that will fit, or can be adapted, to your particular machine tubing size.
Use another short piece of the tube, cut to depth inset of the plug. Slice crossways to remove a section, to allow squeezing the short piece to slide inside the main tube. Once fit, glue in place with the appropriate glue, done. Insert plug.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Use another short piece of the tube, cut to depth inset of the plug. Slice crossways to remove a section, to allow squeezing the short piece to slide inside the main tube. Once fit, glue in place with the appropriate glue, done. Insert plug.
A squeezed piece will not be exactly round, but will be round enough for the Oatey plug to grip.

In my case, the 4" PVC (with 4-1/2" outside diameter) was a perfect fit for the Kubota 4-1/2" I.D. steel tube.
For me: nice press fit....no glue required.

Last edited:

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Seems like a bad idea to have a 3/8chain in one of these then trailer your tractor. Im sure the tiny neo magnets can hold it driving around. Bouncing down the highway with 20lbs of weight is a different story. Should have designed it to grab the inner edge of the tube. Some tubes are cut very rough. There will be varied magnetic strength on those machines.

Magnets can lose strength by being impacted. So sliding them in may affect that strength.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Magnets can lose strength by being impacted. So sliding them in may affect that strength.
The horizontal forces won't be that much. My guess is that strong magnets would be fine.

But, the price is a lot to overcome. :D

Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
The price is a lot to overcome. :D
Which is a strong point behind my making/modding most things, if I can do as good or better in design for less. 👍

Reactions: 1 users

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
A squeezed piece will not be exactly round, but will be round enough for the Oatey plug to grip.

In my case, the 4" PVC (with 4-1/2" outside diameter) was a perfect fit for the Kubota 4-1/2" I.D. steel tube.
For me: nice press fit....no glue required.
You can get fitting plugs instead of pipe plugs, which will fit the OD of the pipe/ID of a fitting.

I bought a couple of the ones in the OP, they were delivered yesterday. I will make my own with some PVC pipe and plugs for the FEL cross tube though.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You can get fitting plugs instead of pipe plugs, which will fit the OD of the pipe/ID of a fitting.

I bought a couple of the ones in the OP, they were delivered yesterday. I will make my own with some PVC pipe and plugs for the FEL cross tube though.
The plugs that I referred to are NOT "PIPE PLUGS".
The "Oatey" (brand) plugs that I refrenced are plumber pressure test plugs.
A very different animal from a "pipe plug"!

Last edited:

TxTom

Equipment
L3301
Sep 16, 2022
Leon County, Tx
I never thought about that being a good place to store a chain but being cheap like I am I'm going to see if a bungee cord stretched on each end will hold my chain.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Interesting....
Never really thought about that.
Seemed like a huge issue on most new commercial construction jobs. Multi-level/Multi-Unit, during rough-in of plumbing. The Electricians were always prone to "pranks"

Problem being, when the plumbers were done pressure testing, in would go a plug to keep out foreign objects. Months later the plumbers would come back at later stages of the projects to install the fixtures. Well, guess what happens at the lower floors, when the "plug" gets removed of the plumbing.

I would not want to be a plumber!

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
Huh.. maybe I’ll just fire up the ‘ol 3d printer…. Should take long to “design” a plug!

White Park

Equipment
M6060, Z726X, LP1872, Enorossi BT165, Vermeer TR90, MF41, MF124, Hesston5530
Dec 16, 2023
Saxton, Pa.
My L48 TLB has a 4-1/2" tube, which requires some method of reducing the interior of the tube ends for a 4" Oatey plug.
The only thing to "figure out", is if there is an Oatey plug that will fit, or can be adapted, to your particular machine tubing size.

White Park

Equipment
M6060, Z726X, LP1872, Enorossi BT165, Vermeer TR90, MF41, MF124, Hesston5530
Dec 16, 2023
Saxton, Pa.
This is what I used in the FEL tube for chain storage on my M6060 with an LA1154 loader. The inside tube size was a little inconsistent due to weld inside the tube. I found that a 4” piece of S&D pipe would fit tight if you used the bell on the end of the pipe. I centered the bell in the tube and used self adhesive thin weatherstripping on each end of the tube along with 4” expandable plugs on each end along with a small plate just in case the tube would slide (drove pipe in with hammer and block, don’t see it moving) Also used a little orange paint to make it look like it should be there. IMG_1983.jpeg IMG_1984.jpeg IMG_1986.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
This is what I used in the FEL tube for chain storage on my M6060 with an LA1154 loader. The inside tube size was a little inconsistent due to weld inside the tube. I found that a 4” piece of S&D pipe would fit tight if you used the bell on the end of the pipe. I centered the bell in the tube and used self adhesive thin weatherstripping on each end of the tube along with 4” expandable plugs on each end along with a small plate just in case the tube would slide (drove pipe in with hammer and block, don’t see it moving) Also used a little orange paint to make it look like it should be there. View attachment 119200 View attachment 119201 View attachment 119202
I really like that "stopper plate" idea.

Good thinking!!! (y) (y)