Kubota RTV1100 Good in Deep Snow?

KidKj65

Equipment
Kubota RTV1100C
Aug 14, 2022
Thunder Bay
Hey all! I am looking to purchase a piece of snow removal equipment for my business this season (residential and small commercial application). I am intrigued by the Kubota RTV1100 with the snowblower on the front, as I like the idea of being able to carry a passenger so one person can do walkway/shovelling while the other uses the snowblower.

My hope would be to trailer the unit to a general area, then drive the unit from house to house in that area, and trailer it to the next area that is further away.

My concern is how well the RTV would perform when driving from house to house on uncleared streets. I have no doubts about its performance when it comes to actually moving the snow, but don't want it getting hung up, stuck and become super slow moving if it has to go through 8-12 inches or more of snow.

Does anyone have experience with how well the stock setup (stock wheels, no lift or tracks installed), does when simply driving through thick snow? Any insight is appreciated!

The other option I am looking at is at LX2610 or 3310, and would be my preferred choice, but the dual passenger capacity that the RTV offers is a huge bonus.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
If it gets pretty deep, the worksite tires just pack with snow. As long as you aren't pushing snow, it will do pretty good. Chains might be an option. If you are going through fresh snow fine but the less wide stance can be a pain with one tire in a fresh packed car tire mark and the other pushing through

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The problem with deep snow is that you can high center pretty easily if you have drifted snow.

I have a Polaris Ranger 570 midsize that I use to plow snow. I have chains for it although I haven’t used them.

One solution is to not let the snow get really deep before you start.

KidKj65

Equipment
Kubota RTV1100C
Aug 14, 2022
Thunder Bay
If it gets pretty deep, the worksite tires just pack with snow. As long as you aren't pushing snow, it will do pretty good. Chains might be an option. If you are going through fresh snow fine but the less wide stance can be a pain with one tire in a fresh packed car tire mark and the other pushing through
When you say pushing snow, do you mean snow building up in front of and under the unit, resulting in the unit pushing snow? That is my concern when driving, I am wondering if it can get through 8-12+ inches without doing that. I wouldn't be plowing, I would have the blower attachment, and am not concerned about the performance of the blower itself.

KidKj65

Equipment
Kubota RTV1100C
Aug 14, 2022
Thunder Bay
The problem with deep snow is that you can high center pretty easily if you have drifted snow.

I have a Polaris Ranger 570 midsize that I use to plow snow. I have chains for it although I haven’t used them.

One solution is to not let the snow get really deep before you start.
That is my concern for sure. With the PTO shaft on the blower, it has about 5 inches of clearance (9 or so without it). Chains I think would help, but of course would be a bandaid fix for going high centre.

Would definitely want to minimize how deep it gets before starting, but am handicapped start when the snowfall is essentially done.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Unless you have tracks (and , no, you won't) nothing 'wheeled' will be prevented from high centering or otherwise getting too much snow underneath the front and getting stuck.

I have yet to find a "wall of snow" my BX2380 w/ BX2830 blower won't blow out but I got into some heavy/wet/old snow out behind a shed mid-winter (don't ask) and was very very very close to being permanently stuck as I was backing up into some deep stuff.

So, moral of story...don't go in deep snow (unless you're blowing a path for yourself)

Good luck !

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
8-12 inches of fresh snow, with 5 inches of clearance (lowest point) but more like 9 inches - you'd be pretty unlucky for 12 inches to pack so hard it'd high centre something with 9 inches of clearance? Obviously if you get a lot beyond 12 inches you're probably in trouble, but worst case you run the blower to cut a path for yourself?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
8-12 inches of fresh snow, with 5 inches of clearance (lowest point) but more like 9 inches - you'd be pretty unlucky for 12 inches to pack so hard it'd high centre something with 9 inches of clearance? Obviously if you get a lot beyond 12 inches you're probably in trouble, but worst case you run the blower to cut a path for yourself?
You don't have to be that unlucky. All it takes is wind drifted snow to be much deeper. Fwiw, my Ranger has about 12 inches and yet I've been high centered.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
When you say pushing snow, do you mean snow building up in front of and under the unit, resulting in the unit pushing snow? That is my concern when driving, I am wondering if it can get through 8-12+ inches without doing that. I wouldn't be plowing, I would have the blower attachment, and am not concerned about the performance of the blower itself.
Yes the low ground clearance, especially in tracks cause of the narrow wheel clearance, one side tires in the track, the other tire pushing snow along with the undercarriage

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My RTV-XG850 with new mudlight tires will drive in about 12" of fresh powder snow. Maybe 6" of wet packing snow. Once the belly hangs up on the snow it's toast. Ice underneath the snow? It's not going far any time soon unless you stud the tires or use chains.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thinking that trying to drive long distances with a raised snowblower might be a challenge in real deep snow.

Snow would be forced/pushed down under the front hitch and machine, where clearance is tight anyway....

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I plow 2 to 3ft quite regularly up here with my Can-Am Defender HD10. It's got 13" clearance and haven't got it hi-sided yet (Knock on Wood). With the tracks on it can't be stopped in snow, but their huge PIA to put on for an old dude. Granted it's a lot lighter than a RTV as well.

KidKj65

Equipment
Kubota RTV1100C
Aug 14, 2022
Thunder Bay
My RTV-XG850 with new mudlight tires will drive in about 12" of fresh powder snow. Maybe 6" of wet packing snow. Once the belly hangs up on the snow it's toast. Ice underneath the snow? It's not going far any time soon unless you stud the tires or use chains.
Is it pretty good on ice with chains? I feel like chains would be a relatively inexpensive option to improve ice traction. It seems I won't have much look in more than 12 inches, I am considering adding a 2 inch lift and putting some 27 inch tires on it that are good for the winter.

KidKj65

Equipment
Kubota RTV1100C
Aug 14, 2022
Thunder Bay
I plow 2 to 3ft quite regularly up here with my Can-Am Defender HD10. It's got 13" clearance and haven't got it hi-sided yet (Knock on Wood). With the tracks on it can't be stopped in snow, but their huge PIA to put on for an old dude. Granted it's a lot lighter than a RTV as well.
Thanks for the insight! I would definitely be looking into a Defender (I actually used to work at a BRP dealership), but I am definitely wanting a snow blower over a blade, and not sure the blower you can put on Defenders would be powerful enough.

KidKj65

Equipment
Kubota RTV1100C
Aug 14, 2022
Thunder Bay
Thinking that trying to drive long distances with a raised snowblower might be a challenge in real deep snow.

Snow would be forced/pushed down under the front hitch and machine, where clearance is tight anyway....
Yes very true, I may have to factor into my pricing needing to trailer the unit around more frequently when snowfalls are above 8 inches or so.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Thanks for the insight! I would definitely be looking into a Defender (I actually used to work at a BRP dealership), but I am definitely wanting a snow blower over a blade, and not sure the blower you can put on Defenders would be powerful enough.
Trust me; I move way more snow then, you'll up north . I see up to 260 + inches a year. This thing kicks ass on it.
I'm starting to shop this week for a 23" and upgrade.

Reactions: 1 user

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Chains are great insurance for any wheeled snow-removal machine. I'd do 4 chains if I was outfitting a winter snow removal machine.

Larger tires may increase the clearance somewhat, but you'll pay a penalty in available power. The front snowblower would require a substantial amount of power IMO. I'd stick with stock tires and hope that the substantial added weight of the snowblower would help with snow traction.

With tracks, the only way to prepare them for icy hilly areas is studs of some type. Tracks may increase snow travel ability (with a possible penalty of increased turning radius) but wheels with chains would likely provide quicker snow-removal performance. You'd likely be limited to the speed that the snowblower can handle, due to the weight of the snow itself. With a plow, a little speed aids in the 'rolling' action, but a snowblower/snowthrower generally needs a lower speed to perform well.

I love the idea of a powerful side-by-side being used as a snow-removal machine. I'm don't think I'd go with a full cab, just a good windshield & roof system without doors. (y)

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Is it pretty good on ice with chains? I feel like chains would be a relatively inexpensive option to improve ice traction. It seems I won't have much look in more than 12 inches, I am considering adding a 2 inch lift and putting some 27 inch tires on it that are good for the winter.
I've never tried it on my UTV. I studded my tractor tires last winter and never want to go back to chains. I'd try the screw in studs first, single row down the middle of the tread on all 4 tires. Seems to work well on my R4's. When they wear down I will add a second row.

KidKj65

Equipment
Kubota RTV1100C
Aug 14, 2022
Thunder Bay
Chains are great insurance for any wheeled snow-removal machine. I'd do 4 chains if I was outfitting a winter snow removal machine.

Larger tires may increase the clearance somewhat, but you'll pay a penalty in available power. The front snowblower would require a substantial amount of power IMO. I'd stick with stock tires and hope that the substantial added weight of the snowblower would help with snow traction.

With tracks, the only way to prepare them for icy hilly areas is studs of some type. Tracks may increase snow travel ability (with a possible penalty of increased turning radius) but wheels with chains would likely provide quicker snow-removal performance. You'd likely be limited to the speed that the snowblower can handle, due to the weight of the snow itself. With a plow, a little speed aids in the 'rolling' action, but a snowblower/snowthrower generally needs a lower speed to perform well.

I love the idea of a powerful side-by-side being used as a snow-removal machine. I'm don't think I'd go with a full cab, just a good windshield & roof system without doors. (y)
Thank you for the detailed insight!