kubota rototiller LR1401 : oil

lucweg

Equipment
L1-24 Sunshine, rototiller RL1401 (?), plow, cultivator, flail cutter
Aug 27, 2013
Belgium
Hello,

I live in Belgium and I have a Kubota rototiller LR1401 (grey market I think).
I would like to change the oil.
Can please anybody tell me which oil I have to use (gear oil 80W-90 ?) and how much oil I will need ?

Thanks a lot !
Luc

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
I don't know if it's the specified oil by the manufacturer but I used 80W-90 oil in mine.

Again I don't know if it's right but I had two plugs in mine and I added oil until it came out of the top plug.

My grandad had a theory "any oil is better than no oil"!

lucweg

Equipment
Aug 27, 2013
Belgium
Hey Corney,

Thanks for your advice.
It would be helpful if I would know how much oil I have to order at the shop.
Perhaps someone can help me with it ?

Thanks.
Luc

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
My 5 ft Tartar rototiller manual calls for GL5-85W-140 or pourable Triple Zero Grease with an EP rating. I used the GL5 85W-140 in mine and seems like a couple of large bottles was ample. I'm not sure since I also service my tractor front axle and UTV all at the same time. Hope this helps

lucweg

Equipment
Aug 27, 2013
Belgium
Hey Clay45,

I think GL5-85W-140 is of a higher quality than the GL4 80W-90 and it also is better at higher temperatures.
But if I am well informed one has to be carefull on old machines like mine (1970-1980) in order to protect the cupper inside the transmission system, so therefore I have sent my question to the forum : GL4 or something else ?
The needed volume can be 2-3 gallon (8-12 litres) and perhaps I can use the same oil for the rear transmission on my L2201DT.
It is not an urgent intervention and I can wait for some more advice of all those kind and helpful people in this forum !

Thanks a lot and kind regards!
Luc

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Don't get this wrong, I speak from some experience, here. if it is seriously low, I'd just put some of any kind of gear lube in it, just to check to see if the lower seal is any good. Mine is not kubota, just a befco G-50, it had a bad lower seal, I just filled the chain box with 2 tubes of grease, and some STP type oil, cause it leaks pretty bad out the lower seal...:D:D