Kubota ROPS Program

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Having recently bought a 1978 Kubota M4500 tractor, I understand Kubota Inc has a ROPS program for older tractors. Apparently I can get a Kubota designed ROPS for our M4500 for $319.
Has anybody here participated in this program and if so, do you have any comments pro's or con's about it?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wonderful program on Kubota's end, but my dealer was a butthead. (as usual)
I was told that I was not qualified to install it, then their taterhaid tech screwed it up & I had to fix it. Post #3:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5328
It's a great program, & I've heard many others had a much better dealer experience that I had.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I got mine through this program. I recall the dealer will install it for "free" if you get tractor to them. I installed mine in a couple hours by myself but it was difficult due to the weight and shape. It would be much easier to have a helper lift it onto the tractor. They do provide long studs to install into tractor to lift ROPS onto and then bolt it up.
Clean holes out and make sure the bolts thread in easily before you get the ROPS in place to make it easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
I got mine through this program. I recall the dealer will install it for "free" if you get tractor to them. I installed mine in a couple hours by myself but it was difficult due to the weight and shape. It would be much easier to have a helper lift it onto the tractor. They do provide long studs to install into tractor to lift ROPS onto and then bolt it up.
Clean holes out and make sure the bolts thread in easily before you get the ROPS in place to make it easier.

I have loaders on our other two tractors so I can lift the ROPS into position. Installation should just be via long bolts in the slots on the rear axle housing would be my guess. I'll stop by my local dealer and check it out. It sounds like for the most part it is not going to be a hassle.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Also forgot to mention to leave everything loosely bolted until you get everything started. Mine was in two halves that didn't really align all that well until some forces were applied to the correct position.

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
Also forgot to mention to leave everything loosely bolted until you get everything started. Mine was in two halves that didn't really align all that well until some forces were applied to the correct position.

Thanks for the tip, Russel.

dm464

Equipment
B6000
Jun 21, 2017
Butler, PA, USA
I've been trying to get one for my B6000. I went through a couple dealers and ended up calling the corporate office but had to leave a message. They haven't called back yet and it has been over a week.
I realize the B6000 falls into the grey market area and Kubota North America went to court to get released legally from having any liability for these tractors... but it's a Kubota tractor. I think the ROPS program is a wonderful idea and Kubota seems big on safety...so I fail to understand why they won't include these tractors in the program. I don't have any plans to die under my Kubota and I'm sure Kubota would not like me to die under one of their machines but I wonder how a lawyer would handle the information that someone died due to lack of a ROPS on a tractor from a company that is big on safety and offers this program but denied that person a ROPS unit.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Wonderful program on Kubota's end, but my dealer was a butthead. (as usual)
I was told that I was not qualified to install it, then their taterhaid tech screwed it up & I had to fix it. Post #3:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5328
It's a great program, & I've heard many others had a much better dealer experience that I had.
I would put the dealers name in here, it may help others to be forewarned of dumb people at a particular place touching their tractors.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I used this program about 20 years ago on my first tractor... B8200d. I don't recall installing it, so I must have had the dealer install it. For the grey market owner, I seriously doubt Kubota will get involved. Maybe have a welder / fabricator make something up for it.
I have fortunately never needed a rops, but I have seen the results of older tractor roll overs during my 35+ years as a firefighter.
My zd mowers have rops, and I altered the pinning system (pins that allow folding the rops) to use quick release ball bearing type pins. For me it is too convenient now to skip putting the rops up when needed.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I would put the dealers name in here, it may help others to be forewarned of dumb people at a particular place touching their tractors.
You're probably right, and I have named them before. I think there are 6 or 7 Kubota dealers in AZ, all owned by the same family, Bingham Equipment Company. I think I remember hearing that Cave Creek Ray has had good luck with them, but EVERYONE else I've talked to hates their guts & all the microbes inside them.

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
Having recently bought a 1978 Kubota M4500 tractor, I understand Kubota Inc has a ROPS program for older tractors. Apparently I can get a Kubota designed ROPS for our M4500 for $319.
Has anybody here participated in this program and if so, do you have any comments pro's or con's about it?
I talked to the local Kubota dealer's part guy yesterday about the ROPS program. He was very straight forward. The ROPS is sold at cost with no dealer mark up and the additionally the buyer pays for the shipping. No problem if I want to install it. He said he found two part numbers for my machine and would check on the correct one and call back when he had the info.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Ordered and picked up my ROPS through Union Farm, had to pay shipping & tax $251. They will let me put it on. The instruction pictures are a little dark but when it warms up around here I'll tackle it. It says theres a tool box bracket so hopefully I can keep the toolbox. Figured I'd get one theres been some talk of how much longer they will keep the program.