Kubota M62 Backhoe No Swing force after Reattachment

Putneymountain

Equipment
Kubota M62
Sep 11, 2021
Putney, VT
We reattached the backhoe (BT1400) after using a three point hitch implement on our M62, and have almost no swing power left or right.

Things get a bit better at high rpm’s - the hoe at least slowly swings, but it has no power. The controls work correctly. Everything else is good.

I was pretty careful during the detachment and reattachment to keep everything clean and reattach the hoses correctly. I’ve detached and reattached the hoe and it doesn’t solve the problem. I cycled it a bunch of times to see if there might be an air bubble in the control valve that could be moved - no improvement. I was really careful with the diverter valves.

This backhoe has 3 hoses – one hose is labeled “swing” – the connections are kind of idiot proof and can’t be connected incorrectly. They’re also color coded.

This is a new machine (yes, I called the dealer).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We reattached the backhoe (BT1400) after using a three point hitch implement on our M62, and have almost no swing power left or right.

Things get a bit better at high rpm’s - the hoe at least slowly swings, but it has no power. The controls work correctly. Everything else is good.

I was pretty careful during the detachment and reattachment to keep everything clean and reattach the hoses correctly. I’ve detached and reattached the hoe and it doesn’t solve the problem. I cycled it a bunch of times to see if there might be an air bubble in the control valve that could be moved - no improvement. I was really careful with the diverter valves.

This backhoe has 3 hoses – one hose is labeled “swing” – the connections are kind of idiot proof and can’t be connected incorrectly. They’re also color coded.

This is a new machine (yes, I called the dealer).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Your profile shows a JD 110 TLB.
Maybe now is the time to the other machine?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
1. Turn off engine
2. Take pressure off lines
3. Disconnect and re-connect the lines
4. Switch diverter valve to 3PH, then to BH mode. Make sure valves fully seated

If that doesn't work look at this thread

Putneymountain

Equipment
Kubota M62
Sep 11, 2021
Putney, VT
Thanks for the link to that thread - there's quiet a bit of info there.

Our problem is a bit different - the boom swings in both directions but very slowly and with minimal power. Increasing the RPMs helps, but only a little - still not usable for work.

I've disconnected and reconnected the hoses multiple time and moved the diverter valves as well.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
As it's a new machine I'd let the dealer work things out.

I discovered a surprise on mine...one of the swing cylinder pins wouldn't take grease. No grease grooves on the pin or bushing, they ended up having to replace the complete carrier frame. I wasn't happy losing the BH for 3 months with it sitting in their shop during my busy season. Second issue was a cold lap weld joint on the bottom of the boom, I could stuff a feeler gauge along about 6 inches of weld. Originally they wanted the shop tech to re-weld and I said no way. They ended up replacing the boom. Should have simply given me a new BH at that point...

Putneymountain

Equipment
Kubota M62
Sep 11, 2021
Putney, VT
Some possible good news with our backhoe problem…

Because it happened right after reattaching the hoe - and I had been pretty careful about keeping everything clean - I decided it was likely either airbound or something with the diverter valves.

Cycling the swing many times didn’t alleviate the problem - which should have been improved if it was airbound. So that left the diverter valves.

I had pulled and pushed them correctly too. So it wasn’t just that they were set wrong.

I took off the cover plate below the seat to look at valves directly and the linkage on the right had not fully pushed the lever. I manually pushed it the final few millimeters and that solved the problem.

Or it was just a coincidence😊.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.

Putneymountain

Equipment
Kubota M62
Sep 11, 2021
Putney, VT
As it's a new machine I'd let the dealer work things out.

I discovered a surprise on mine...one of the swing cylinder pins wouldn't take grease. No grease grooves on the pin or bushing, they ended up having to replace the complete carrier frame. I wasn't happy losing the BH for 3 months with it sitting in their shop during my busy season. Second issue was a cold lap weld joint on the bottom of the boom, I could stuff a feeler gauge along about 6 inches of weld. Originally they wanted the shop tech to re-weld and I said no way. They ended up replacing the boom. Should have simply given me a new BH at that point...
That sounds painful - why did the whole carrier frame need replacement? Why not just replace the pin or bushing?

Farmerhill

Equipment
M62 Kubota backhoe
Nov 24, 2023
Tennessee
My m62 kubota backhoe lost its power to swing left and right.I cleaned the overload relief valve with brake cleaner now works like new.