Kubota M59 Block Heater Install Questions

whizbang

Dec 23, 2019
Monroe, MI, USA
I have a 2008 Kubota M59 with the V2403-M-TE3-TLB1 engine. I live in MI and would like to add a block heater to my recently acquired TLB but could use some advice on which route to go. I know the OEM block heater installs in a freeze plug but what I cannot get clarity on is if the freeze plug port is specific or if the heater must be install on specific side. I have read forum posts (including on this site) that indicates the hydro pump must be removed to install into a freeze plug on the right side of the engine. The left side (starter side) has available freeze plugs that are easier to access but I have also read that some Kubota engines can’t have the block heater installed on the left side due to block design/configuration. It seems to me it would be easier to install on the left side (starter side) of the engine. Must the OEM block heater be installed on the right side behind the hydro pump, requiring removal of the pump for installation?

Or could/should I go the route of a KATZ inline coolant heater? What are the pros/cons of going this (which seems to be much simpler) route? I have never installed a coolant heater, but know I will lose some heat from convection of the radiator. Does the inline heater heat the coolant in the lower radiator hose to a high temperature that opens a mechanical thermostat on the engine block or does it warm some other way?

I am inclined to go with the inline radiator hose heater due to some of the horror stories I have read about installing the block heater into the freeze plugs and doing damage to the block, such as running into the cylinder wall while drilling or punching out the plug, getting a plug stuck or even leaking around the heater due to issues with the Loctite sealant.

Lastly, I have looked but I am pretty sure my engine does not have 17mm threaded plug to easily install the block heater. However if I am wrong, please guide me to where exactly this should be located. If anyone knows of an install video for my engine/tractor I would love to see it.