Kubota M4 Problems, anyone?

DirtRoadRambler

Jan 14, 2020
Austin, Texas
My new Kubota M4 has been in the shop with some issues as soon as it was delivered. the biggest issue being a bad de-clutch switch which caused it to frequently fail to go into gear when shifting (not cool when on a road). Anyone else having issues with M4's out of the box?

Kubota customer satisfaction line won't say anything except "We have no campaigns open on M4s"--seems as though a campaign equates to a recall in orange talk. They push me off to the dealer who is fixing my issues, but I am interested in experiences from other M4 owners. I think the dealer is now doing his best to help, but Kubota will not give out any information and even told me that the Kubota rep who works with the dealer is not customer facing.

Appreciate any thoughts/experiences. I am a bit concerned as it seemed that Kubota stopped making M7060's last spring with the M4's coming out soon and they have only been trickling out and new M7060's have been showing up again in the last few months. Is this a roll out problem or am I too paranoid?

btw, I really, really like the M4D-071 features--just need it to spend more time at my place than at the dealer.

Reactions: 1 user

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I've got a M4D-071, 18 gears version, delivered in March 2019. - My neighbour also bought one, delivered two weeks later. And there is a third one in our village, delivered something about August 2019. This one I dont know very well.
All three with a FEL from 'Quicke', not the Kubota LA1154 (it's horrible).

My M4 now has over 250 hours in less than 10 month on it and I didn't have any issues.
Two things I dont like: if it's cold, shifting between the three groups is realy tricky, and, as long as the gearbox/hydraukil-oil is cold, something under 80°F, the breaksystem "eats" a lot of power if you want to drive at high speed (25 mls/h).

My neighbour, his M4 has about 150 h on it, has a little problem with his brakesystem. There is a very little pressuredifference between the right and the left side. The breaks are working perfekt, but this issue sometimes produces a loud high frequent noise and the DTC 35. - Kubota knows about this Problem. They will adjust or change the Breakvalve next month.

So far, that all till now.

Last edited:

DirtRoadRambler

Jan 14, 2020
Austin, Texas
bernhardine: Thanks for taking the time to reply with details.

My M4D-071, from day of delivery, was not able to reach speed and bogged down immediately when given more than very minimal throttle. This seems to be a short caused by the addition of a security kill switch and is now cured. I will know more when all is resolved and I get it back from the dealer. I will post on that after I get to test it. That was one of my issues from day one.

dngranch

Equipment
Oct 4, 2019
Palestine TX
I bought a 7060 Dec 2018. At approx. 90 hrs. it started loosing power. After a couple of months at the dealer they determined that it had a bad head bolt and was replacing the motor. I told them I needed a tractor NOW and worked out a deal trading for a M4-071D in Nov. 2019. I have 25 hours and haven't had any problems with except it seems kind of clunky going into 6th gear. My wife sure likes the buddy seat. The dealer in Crockett was extremely good to deal with.

Hfarmer

Equipment
M4D-071
Jan 24, 2020
Georgia
Hi everyone. I bought a M4-071 last week. 18 hours on it. Really like it, it’s strong, powerful... the first day the de-clutch button went out. I have tape and a rubber band on it now to hold it in the right position. Other than that I like it. Easily move 20’ logs with no problem.

DirtRoadRambler

Jan 14, 2020
Austin, Texas
Without even using it, the de-clutch button on my M4D-071 (right after delivery) was shorting out frequently and kept any gear from engaging until it decided to work again (fortunately, did not dis-engage except when shifting gears. Dealer replaced the de-clutch switch and that problem was healed.

DNGRANCH: Agree it is fairly clunky going into 6th gear.

However, in 6th gear (in high range), even without any load on front or back and on a good highway, my tractor loses speed/power in going up even the most mild incline. It cannot hold max speed (24.x mph) or gain speed when in 6th gear up any hill--seems to only be usable downhill. Anyone else have this issue?

ngaoffroad

Equipment
L4060HSTC, L3560HSTC, LP RCR2596, BH SQ84T, BH6, BH600SQ, Grapple, Tiller, Blade
May 31, 2017
Blairsville, GA
All of this makes me glad we went ahead two years ago and got the M7060. Nearing 300 hours and no issues, thankfully.

Lambro

Equipment
M4 71D
Jun 28, 2020
US (Moultrie Ga)
Without even using it, the de-clutch button on my M4D-071 (right after delivery) was shorting out frequently and kept any gear from engaging until it decided to work again (fortunately, did not dis-engage except when shifting gears. Dealer replaced the de-clutch switch and that problem was healed.

DNGRANCH: Agree it is fairly clunky going into 6th gear.

However, in 6th gear (in high range), even without any load on front or back and on a good highway, my tractor loses speed/power in going up even the most mild incline. I hold max speed (24.x mph) or gain speed when in 6th gear up any hill--seems to only be usable downhill. Anyone else have this issue?
I have issues once going into 6th gear the RPM's stall out. More throttle and it continues to lose power.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My new Kubota M4 has been in the shop with some issues as soon as it was delivered. the biggest issue being a bad de-clutch switch which caused it to frequently fail to go into gear when shifting (not cool when on a road). Anyone else having issues with M4's out of the box?

Kubota customer satisfaction line won't say anything except "We have no campaigns open on M4s"--seems as though a campaign equates to a recall in orange talk. They push me off to the dealer who is fixing my issues, but I am interested in experiences from other M4 owners. I think the dealer is now doing his best to help, but Kubota will not give out any information and even told me that the Kubota rep who works with the dealer is not customer facing.

Appreciate any thoughts/experiences. I am a bit concerned as it seemed that Kubota stopped making M7060's last spring with the M4's coming out soon and they have only been trickling out and new M7060's have been showing up again in the last few months. Is this a roll out problem or am I too paranoid?

btw, I really, really like the M4D-071 features--just need it to spend more time at my place than at the dealer.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Like most (all?) manufacturers, Kubota shields their service representatives from customers making it very difficult (nearly impossible) to speak with one directly. This can be exceptionally frustrating at times but it is the world in which we live.

I believe that Kubota is still making 7060s and likely will for some time.

SDT