Kubota L4310

ozzie

Equipment
FEL
Nov 8, 2010
Australia
Hello All. I have recently purchased a used Kubota L4310 with a FEL. The first thing I did was to give it a good clean using a high pressure water cleaner. The fuel tank had a slight leak in it so I needed to take it out for repair. It is all fixed now and reassembled, but it will not start. I have checked all the relays which are ok. My question now is, can I bypass everything and go straight to the starter motor and which would be the best way to do that? If that works, at least it is a start. Maybe you have other ideas as to the problem?

Thank you

ozzie

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
Ozzie, you could try "How to bleeding fuel injector lines" videos on this site. Up in the top right hand corner of this window is the VIDEOS link.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Ozzie,

Just to make sure I'm reading your message correctly..... are you saying the motor does not fire or that it does not crank over, ie starter motor not coming in?

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Sounds like your not getting it to crank over - if you're thinking of adding a jump straight to the starter....yes?

I have been told several times to make sure the ground is connected ie: "first, check the ground"....heard that several times!

You can jump the starter - see if it will catch by just hitting the positive side of the starter (and having the battery grounded to the tractor).
It would let you know the starter is functional.

I imagine there's some water intrusion problem in a relay or starter sylenoid.....maybe try some compressed air (and safety glasses).

ozzie

Equipment
FEL
Nov 8, 2010
Australia
Ozzie,

Just to make sure I'm reading your message correctly..... are you saying the motor does not fire or that it does not crank over, ie starter motor not coming in?
Thanks for the reply. The starter motor does not crank over. I will try what fj40dave suggested. If I can get the starter motor to turn over, at least I know that it is ok.

ozzie :)

ozzie

Equipment
FEL
Nov 8, 2010
Australia
Thanks for the reply. The starter motor does not crank over. I will try what fj40dave suggested. If I can get the starter motor to turn over, at least I know that it is ok.

ozzie :)
By passed the wirering and it started first go. At least the starter motor is ok. The starter relay checks ok. I also tried another ignition switch from a kubota B1750. Made no difference. Any ideas would be welcome. If I bypass the safety switches, would that make a difference?

Thanks, ozzie

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
ozzie, I'd look at the safety switches to see if you is shorted out due to the power washing you gave it. I had a Dodge Minivan that I gave a good power washing to and then it wouldn't start. After pulling my hair out, I towed it to the dealer and left it. A few days later they tried it and it started right up. It took several days to dry out. I never power washed it again. Let us know what you find.

ozzie

Equipment
FEL
Nov 8, 2010
Australia
ozzie, I'd look at the safety switches to see if you is shorted out due to the power washing you gave it. I had a Dodge Minivan that I gave a good power washing to and then it wouldn't start. After pulling my hair out, I towed it to the dealer and left it. A few days later they tried it and it started right up. It took several days to dry out. I never power washed it again. Let us know what you find.
Thank again for all your advise. I have the problem solved, after a week of checking anything I could according to the WSM. I traced it to a harness on which some things did not work. When I turned the ignition on, the horn went. I thought there must be a cross connection somewhere, but where? I did need to dismantle the dashboard and steering column to remove the fuel tank for repairs, so there must be something I did wrong in there. I felt under the dash to find any loose connections. Couldn't feel anything. I managed to pull out two harnesses, to look at them. Well I thought, they were both eight pin, ie identical. Someone as stupid as me would put the wrong harnesses together.
I swapped them over, and all my problems were solved. I usually mark connections for identification, but not this one. The moral of the story is, MARK ALL CONNECTORS WHEN DISMANTLING.

ozzie

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Ozzie,

If it's any consolation.... I'm surprised and disappointed that Kubota would use two keyed alike or unkeyed connectors in the same area, much less close enough to be cross-plugged! I guess it should serve (not knowing different) there may well be the same engineering on ours. Glad you found it and brought it back here!

Ron

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
ozzie, congratulations of finding your problem. I feel your pain having "been there - done that". At least now you can move on. Thanks for filling us in on what the problem was.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Thanks for the update ozzie.

Now we know to look at the connectors :cool:

ozzie

Equipment
FEL
Nov 8, 2010
Australia
ozzie, congratulations of finding your problem. I feel your pain having "been there - done that". At least now you can move on. Thanks for filling us in on what the problem was.
Hello All. Good to see a positive feedback, thanks for that, all fixed now. As it is said above " At least you can now move on" to my next problem, last one, I hope.
Attached I have a LA681 FEL. It works ok, but the boom operation using the boom control lever is very "jerky" or gets stuck. I can push it down or up. It feels as if it is grinding on something. Tilting the bucket up or down is smooth.I feel there is something broken or mashed in the boom side of the control valve.
I don't want to change the hydraulic oil until I find out what is wrong. Is there much of a problem dismantling the valve control unit. I do have the parts manual but not the service manual. Any advice will again be appreciated.

ozzie