Kubota L245DT blowing smoke from little tube that hangs from engine

Jerry D

May 31, 2009
Waterloo, On, Canada
Of the tractors we have on the farm none of them blow as much smoke as the kubota. It's blows smoke clearing from the tube that hangs from the engine. Is this normal? Is this a sign of anything? The other tractors we have on the farm don't have this problem. The tubes hang from the other tractors but the smoke isn't billowing out like it is on my Kubota.

Anyone know why the smoke pours out from this tube? From the few hours I logged on it running it at 2000 rpm it handled very well. I spent a day mowing long grass/weeds with the 5' bushog. The engine seems to have power.

Anyhow if you know why so much smoke comes out from the tube it would be appreciated. Thanks

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I'm not familiar with that tractor but, if that tube you are referring to goes to the crankase, it's called a draft tube. It takes the the spent gases from the blowby and exhausts them to the outside. If you're getting a lot of smoke, it means excessive blowby, caused by worn rings, cylinder or cracked piston. It can cause excessive pressure in the crankcase which will cause seals and gaskets to leak. Not anything that has to be fixed immediantly but you'll eventually notice a drop in power. Then it's overhaul time. You can try a little thicker oil for the summer.

Jerry D

May 31, 2009
Waterloo, On, Canada
Alright, that makes sense, I think it's worn rings as I doubt its the other things. The engine has 4050ish hours on it at 2430 rpm (I think)... whatever the setting is that gives you a 540 pto.

RevDoc

Feb 17, 2009
Flyover Country
Jerry, your cylinders are smooth, and your worn rings are letting compression into the engine case, and out the blowby tube. It will contaminate your engine oil terribly, and increase bearing wear, making engine overhaul even more expensive.
You can coast for a while, but you'll be increasing the odds of turning your engine into toast.