Kubota L175 PTO not working when I am in gear

Xenogeny

Equipment
Kubota L175
May 4, 2017
Union. OR, USA
I have a Kubota L175 that was stored in a barn for over 10 years.
I bought it from someone I found out later was disreputable.
I have done a lot to get the engine up and running. It now runs just fine.

The problem I have is:

I can put it in gear and disengage the PTO and it will go forward and backward when I release the clutch
I can engage the PTO and be out of gear and the PTO will run just fine in high or low when I release the clutch.
I just cannot go forward and run the PTO at the same time.
I am not much of a mechanic, Any ideas?

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I think we need a better explanation. That tractor is not a live pto,so things like a 3 point mower can be a challenge.

The way im understanding is if you put tractor in a forward drive gear and engage pto tractor wont move.

Xenogeny

Equipment
Kubota L175
May 4, 2017
Union. OR, USA
When I engage the PTO and put it in gear then release the clutch I will go forward but the PTO will not run.

I have re-written my original description. I should have been clearer the first time..

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
What i am thinking is pto isnt engaging at all,its just freewheeling. My l1501 is similar and the pto turns with it in neutral,it is just the moving parts nearby causing it to rotate.

Tractor off, transmission in nuetral and pto in any gear. Try to rotate shaft by hand. Either direction.

Xenogeny

Equipment
Kubota L175
May 4, 2017
Union. OR, USA
I will do your test when the weather is a little dryer (raining right now).

I just do not understand why the PTO runs in both speeds when the tractor is out of gear but when you put the tractor in gear the PTO will not run. Could something be broken in the transmission?

Xenogeny

Equipment
Kubota L175
May 4, 2017
Union. OR, USA
Just a note;
The g is missing from your quote "You are insured for everythin but...

You may like this quote - "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be" Lao Tzu

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I had an L175, you have to move in a direction for it to spin. It has a Lo and Hi speed. There is no internal over-running clutch. If it is engaged, and you are driving forward, and it does not spin, something internal is broken.

Xenogeny

Equipment
Kubota L175
May 4, 2017
Union. OR, USA
Thanks Max.
We have stormy weather right now so I am waiting until it dries out a bit to try to test it again. I am beginning to think you are right about internal breakage.