Kubota l1501DT restoration

kubquestion

Dec 11, 2022
Somewhere
Hi all, so after my son suggested restoring an old tractor I fell in love with the idea. Now he's found one that I'm considering, but I'd like a second opinion. Especially considering this is nearing Christmas where it'll have to be finalized.

This is less a "how much would it cost" and more "is it possible". Here's the photos. According to the owner the engine is seized (not too concerning, I've worked on many an engine before) however the large amount of rust mentioned does concern me. He's listed it for 300usd.

I was planning on looking at a slightly more expensive tea20 however it's far too large to fit into the garage. So this is sofar the best option. Thankyou in advance

Screenshot_2022-12-12-01-32-39-91.jpg
Screenshot_2022-12-12-01-32-49-63.jpg

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
It's gonna need a lot of work. Gonna have a few grand into it till it's done. Don't know where your from, but around here you can get an old rough runner that needs a little tlc for a reasonable price. Less then your gonna get into that thing.

kubquestion

Dec 11, 2022
Somewhere
It's gonna need a lot of work. Gonna have a few grand into it till it's done. Don't know where your from, but around here you can get an old rough runner that needs a little tlc for a reasonable price. Less then your gonna get into that thing.
Probably should've included that, but I'm from qld aus, and just having a look on marketplace about 2500 is the cheapest you can find a nonscrap runner for. I wish we had the cheaper prices so much lol. But thankyou for the advice 😁

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Probably should've included that, but I'm from qld aus, and just having a look on marketplace about 2500 is the cheapest you can find a nonscrap runner for. I wish we had the cheaper prices so much lol. But thankyou for the advice 😁
Ah I'm state side. A cheap runner can be had for around $2500. Cheaper if you have time to sit and wait and your after a bare tractor.
That may be the best bet if your limited on money, but I'd expect to sink a good bit of time and money in it. Could be a fun project for you and your boy.
Best of luck.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, but have you looked at what costs you'd having importing a tractor ?
Are there any duties or import fees (taxes) on used ,<100hp tractors ?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
curious, but have you looked at what costs you'd having importing a tractor ?
Are there any duties or import fees (taxes) on used ,<100hp tractors ?
Few fees on old tractors if they're the same as cars. But shipping is very expensive, it'd be hard to come out ahead.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Thanks for the info, had a feeling 'shipping and handling' would be expensive to the island.....

Maybe consider buying the tractor as a 'project' NOT as a 'must get it to run and use it' ?
It'd be a good 'father -son' project, removing tin, taking pictures,locating parts, rewiring,changing fluids, etc. You supply the cash, he supplies the labour. At the end of the day, when it does start and run you both WIN !!!

I've bought 3 'parts ' tractors to get my first running better. Silly me got all THREE of them running and can't bear to 'rob Peter to pay Paul'.....so I have 3 'running spare parts machines'....

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Definitely shop the online auctions for awhile to get a feel for the marketplace before you commit to such a large project.

Projects like these are always a 'labor of love'. Because, you have a very low probability of getting back out what $$$ you put into it. As such, make sure you absolutely love it before you pull the trigger! So maybe research the machine's specs and reputation for performance, reliability, ease-of-maintenance, cost-of-maintenance, etc.

You might also try shopping some of the parts you're going to need. I've bought a few NOS Kubota parts recently, and I've been surprised that stuff for 30 year-old tractors is still available. And, apparently, manufactured recently. That availability made me abandon the idea of purchasing a parts tractor. For what I've bought, I think that Kubota's prices are not *that* unreasonable, compared to the automotive marketplace for NOS. But it ranges. Like $25 for a plain seal? C'mon!! $90 for a headlight assembly? SWEET!

For the machine you're looking at, obviously you're going to need a sheet metal donor. Which may mean that a parts tractor purchase is in your future. Too bad this one seems to have sat outside its entire life. And, I doubt it's going anywhere fast... Patience...

That 30-year old tractor? I bought it (G1800S) back in August. What clinched the deal for me was that I had used the exact same model for 5 years in the past and loved it, mainly for its performance, reliability, and ergonomics. But I did not own it, so when we moved, that one stayed. Another clincher? The wife loved using it. She never questioned the wisdom of the purchase!

Finally, for stuff like this, a rule-of-thumb I use is that I'm always willing to pay double scrap price. But, not much more than that.

-Paul