Kubota GF1800 won't turnover

Scooty

Equipment
Two Kubota ZD21 mowers, New Holland 21D w/FEL, New Holland 105A tiller
Oct 14, 2014
Adrian, Michigan
I inherited a GF1800 with a 60" front deck. The serial # is 10295. It has 2500+ hours on it. It's in decent shape. I was told when it was parked it ran fine. It has been sitting for at least 4-5 years best guess. After putting a new battery in it, I downloaded the operators manual and followed the procedure to start but nothing. The headlight works as do the lights for oil, battery and glow plugs. I can see & hear the fuel cut-off solenoid/switch working. Next, I jumped across the solenoid and did get the starter to spin but it didn't extend and engage with the flywheel. That's the only way I have been able to get the starter to do anything. I hate to buy a new starter without knowing this one's bad. It seems that if it were the starter, it would at least spin like it does when I jump the solenoid. I just got started on this thing so was looking for some input. Does anyone know if I can just short the safety switches to rule them out rather than replacing them one at a time? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm trying to find the fuse-able link that another poster found to be the culprit on his machine. Thanks in advance for the advice!

UPDATE: it was the safety switch for the parking brake! She fired right up and sounds great. I’m gonna change all the fluids and give her a thorough once over then give it to my son-in-law and daughter to use.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I inherited a GF1800 with a 60" front deck. The serial # is 10295. It has 2500+ hours on it. It's in decent shape. I was told when it was parked it ran fine. It has been sitting for at least 4-5 years best guess. After putting a new battery in it, I downloaded the operators manual and followed the procedure to start but nothing. The headlight works as do the lights for oil, battery and glow plugs. I can see & hear the fuel cut-off solenoid/switch working. Next, I jumped across the solenoid and did get the starter to spin but it didn't extend and engage with the flywheel. That's the only way I have been able to get the starter to do anything. I hate to buy a new starter without knowing this one's bad. It seems that if it were the starter, it would at least spin like it does when I jump the solenoid. I just got started on this thing so was looking for some input. Does anyone know if I can just short the safety switches to rule them out rather than replacing them one at a time? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm trying to find the fuse-able link that another poster found to be the culprit on his machine. Thanks in advance for the advice!

UPDATE: it was the safety switch for the parking brake! She fired right up and sounds great. I’m gonna change all the fluids and give her a thorough once over then give it to my son-in-law and daughter to use.
This tip is for the next time you have problems.

When you "jump" a starter and it justs spins but does not engage the ring gear on the flywheel, it is a sign you are not doing the "jumping" correctly.

You touched the two heavy terminals on the starter solenoid together. What that does is just supply power to spin the motor.

What you have to do is apply power from the big terminal with the battery cable attached to a much smaller terminal on the solenoid. This action both pulls the starter drive into engagement and also spins the motor so the engine cranks.

Dave