Kubota Electric Tractor Survey

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Perhaps for the foreseeable future but this country will likely run out of inexpensive NG LONG before it runs out of coal.

Pricing will change when this happens.

SDT
Known gas reserves in the US are calculated to be a 300 year supply. The mining, transportation, handling, and toxic waste disposal associated with coal power production will always be expensive. It’s bulky, and requires lots of costs to move from the mine to end use. Then the plants require more personal to operate and clean. So many other lower cost ways to produce power nowadays.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Known gas reserves in the US are calculated to be a 300 year supply. The mining, transportation, handling, and toxic waste disposal associated with coal power production will always be expensive. It’s bulky, and requires lots of costs to move from the mine to end use. Then the plants require more personal to operate and clean. So many other lower cost ways to produce power nowadays.
Again, this country will likely run out of inexpensive NG long before it runs out of coal.

Regardless, I would not expect "known gas reserves in the US" to last anywhere near 300 years if NG becomes the most used fuel of electrical generation plants.

Yet, again, I am in favor of all of the all of the above approach providing all are funded by private money and government does not engage in picking winners and loosers by promulgating burdensome regulations upon those that it disfavors.

SDT

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Again, this country will likely run out of inexpensive NG long before it runs out of coal.

Regardless, I would not expect "known gas reserves in the US" to last anywhere near 300 years if NG becomes the most used fuel of electrical generation plants.

Yet, again, I am in favor of all of the all of the above approach providing all are funded by private money and government does not engage in picking winners and loosers by promulgating burdensome regulations upon those that it disfavors.

SDT
Burdensome regulations? Some of would prefer clean air over an unnecessary coal plant.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Burdensome regulations? Some of would prefer clean air over an unnecessary coal plant.
Most likely your definition of both burdensome and unnecessary differ from mine.

I will agree to disagree.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 47704

Its funny how all the clean air guys have diesel tractors.
I'm not worried about carbon.
The real danger is all the hot air coming out of D.C.
The top priority of this country should be energy independence at a reasonable cost.If that means coal, oil, LNG thats what it takes.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Have y
The top priority of this country should be energy independence at a reasonable cost.If that means coal, oil, LNG thats what it takes.
Have you ever spent time in the vicinity of a coal power plant? And seen
How the pollution rains down and destroys vegetation? They are not pleasant places to be near. On the other hand, a modern natural gas fired turbine plant doesn’t pollute the air.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Bingo.

And, yes, I have spent nearly 70 years within 7 or 8 miles of two coal fired generation plants without effect.

SDT

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Bingo.

And, yes, I have spent nearly 70 years within 7 or 8 miles of two coal fired generation plants without effect.

SDT
Ok. It does affect forest vegetation. I’m a forester and familiar with that. Also, why use a more expensive fuel source?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: why use a more expensive fuel source?
why ? So the utilty company can charge more for the power ! That'll increasee the carbon taxes and then the guvs get more too !!!

as for coal being expensive, BC is shipping it 24/7 'offshore' as fast as they can....

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
re: why use a more expensive fuel source?
why ? So the utilty company can charge more for the power ! That'll increasee the carbon taxes and then the guvs get more too !!!

as for coal being expensive, BC is shipping it 24/7 'offshore' as fast as they can....
I’m glad that the power companies in my state are closing coal plants and building natural gas plants along with other sources. And our power is pretty affordable. Oh doubt there will be much offshore shipping in 10 years. In the US coal will be gone in 10 years, since old plants are closing and not one new plant is being built or planned.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I’m glad that the power companies in my state are closing coal plants and building natural gas plants along with other sources. And our power is pretty affordable. Oh doubt there will be much offshore shipping in 10 years. In the US coal will be gone in 10 years, since old plants are closing and not one new plant is being built or planned.
Coal is used for a lot more than just making power. Google coal in chemistry and metallurgy - SMH. You think coal will be gone in 10 years? That is laughable. If humans are still around in a thousand years, there will still be a use for coal.

Same goes for oil. It isn't just to make gas. Any of the ene's, poly's, rubbers etc. all require oil.

It is a shame the education level has dropped so far in the country.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Coal is used for a lot more than just making power. Google coal in chemistry and metallurgy - SMH. You think coal will be gone in 10 years? That is laughable. If humans are still around in a thousand years, there will still be a use for coal.

Same goes for oil. It isn't just to make gas. Any of the ene's, poly's, rubbers etc. all require oil.

Agreed.

From a historical perspective, without coal, we would all still be digging in the dirt with sticks.

SDT

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Agreed.

From a historical perspective, without coal, we would all still be digging in the dirt with sticks.

SDT
The same could be said for horse and buggies. Times change.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

You are taking my comments out of context. You know that I was talking about coal fired electrical generation.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I don't think there is any doubt that a robust and mature DER technology has the potential of mitigating a lot of the transmission issues. One beauty of electricity is point of use generation is very easy to feed back into the grid. EV's may not be the best source of that power but rooftop solar is a whole different animal.

Dan

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Natural gas is available in all states and cheaper than coal. Cheaper transportation (no trucks or trains), cheaper to operate the power plant, and no mountains of toxic waste to dispose of. NM population is irrelevant: in the southwest region, we supply a lot of power to the interstate grid. And the northern half of the state is a Rocky Mountain climate with cold winters.
Not available in most of Maine, firewood is common.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Not available in most of Maine, firewood is common.
Although it is available parts of most states, NG is not available in rural areas. In the Northeast the majority of rural homes are heated with fuel oil, and many are converting to propane, but NG is not available. NG requires pipelines.

My point is that most people respond to issues from their own frame of reference. If you have never lived in a city then you don't understand the way city people think because you have never experienced it. The same is true for city people who have never lived on a farm or other rural environment.