Kubota D600 engine spitting murky oil: Have I blown a head gasket?

CrankshaftKaleb

Equipment
Kubota G5200H Garden tractor
Jun 21, 2020
Bendigo, VIC, Australia
Was running some injector cleaner through the engine on my G5200H when it started running rough and spitting a heap of oil out of the breather on the tappet cover.

When I went to check the oil, it started dripping out the dipstick hole! It was coming out grey and murky looking. NOT GOOD! This looks like some coolant has found its way into the sump. There was a bit of diesel in that tray from a fuel leak somewhere around the tank, which is the greeny-yellow stuff.

I decided to take off the tappet cover to try and assess the situation, and what a mess! That sure looks like coolant contamination to me.

I think I might have somehow blown a head gasket or worse, cracked the head. Be it so, I've already invested a lot of my money in this thing, so I refuse to give up on it at this point.

Any thoughts on the problem and what else I should check? I have a pretty well equipped workshop, so there's a lot I can do to fix something if it's worth my while.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Was running some injector cleaner through the engine on my G5200H when it started running rough and spitting a heap of oil out of the breather on the tappet cover.

When I went to check the oil, it started dripping out the dipstick hole! It was coming out grey and murky looking. NOT GOOD! This looks like some coolant has found its way into the sump. There was a bit of diesel in that tray from a fuel leak somewhere around the tank, which is the greeny-yellow stuff.

I decided to take off the tappet cover to try and assess the situation, and what a mess! That sure looks like coolant contamination to me.

I think I might have somehow blown a head gasket or worse, cracked the head. Be it so, I've already invested a lot of my money in this thing, so I refuse to give up on it at this point.

Any thoughts on the problem and what else I should check? I have a pretty well equipped workshop, so there's a lot I can do to fix something if it's worth my while.
Why did you feel it was appropriate to clean diesel injectors using some chemical?

With the big caution for Kubota owners about using ether or quick start, putting anything other than diesel fuel into an engine would be something that would concern me greatly.

You may have cracked a piston. Because the cylinder pressures are many times greater than cooling system pressures, as are lube oil pressures, usually the rad is contaminated when a head gasket goes.

Start with a cylinder leakage test using compressed air. If it passes muster you are a lucky guy. If it does not then off with the head and out with the pistons.

Anything being expelled out the crankcase vent in the manner you describe is a big problem.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

CrankshaftKaleb

Equipment
Kubota G5200H Garden tractor
Jun 21, 2020
Bendigo, VIC, Australia
Been working on it for the past few days, and the head had a crack through the exhaust valve seat on the No.2 cylinder, and the head gasket was blown. Will detail the repairs in another thread.