Kubota BX front end play

murph1068

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 6, 2016
Willowgrove PA
I noticed lately the front end has play at the steering piston when turning left and right. Can anyone tell me what I need or what I'm getting into before I disassemble.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
How much play? Have you raised it off the ground to check it out? Those brackets holding that steering cylinder can come loose and cause lots of play. Check those and make sure they're not bent also, especially if they were loose.

Reactions: 1 user

murph1068

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 6, 2016
Willowgrove PA
I haven't, but just a slight wiggle on the steering I can see the piston move in and out of those brackets. Not much but just enough to annoy me, maybe the brackets are worn ever so slightly. I'll need to look closer.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Do you need to cycle the steering wheel quite a bit to make it turn/keep it straight?

Besides the wiggle within the brackets, BX series are known to have bad seals in the steering cylinder. I ran my neighbors' BX while back, and am sure seals were shot.

If my memory serves, many have had better luck just replacing the cylinder than trying to rebuild it. I think there was a new and improved cylinder part number.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I haven't, but just a slight wiggle on the steering I can see the piston move in and out of those brackets. Not much but just enough to annoy me, maybe the brackets are worn ever so slightly. I'll need to look closer.
Don't feel bad, I had only 20 hours on my BX2680 when mine started. It is just the slightest movement that causes it, mainly driving in gravel is when I feel it most through the steering wheel. Like you said annoying!

murph1068

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 6, 2016
Willowgrove PA
Do you need to cycle the steering wheel quite a bit to make it turn/keep it straight?

Besides the wiggle within the brackets, BX series are known to have bad seals in the steering cylinder. I ran my neighbors' BX while back, and am sure seals were shot.

If my memory serves, many have had better luck just replacing the cylinder than trying to rebuild it. I think there was a new and improved cylinder part number.
No the steering is fine other then the slight play that just started this season. The more I research it the more common I think it is. There is a guy on youtube that measured the play and made a shim on his cnc machine which I thought was brilliant. He was selling them on ebay but that video was some time ago. I need to investigate this further and see, I just got some fluid change items from Messicks and a new set of brackets which weren't much money for what it's worth. I'll measure the old one's with my caliper compared to the new one's and report back.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I seen that YouTube and replied and he got back to me., said he was out of town till Sept and would get back to me. Should not be that difficult to make if need be.

murph1068

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 6, 2016
Willowgrove PA
So here is the link that gave me the idea, after closer inspection I measured my kubota bx and the play was 30 thousands. By chance I had a variety of shims slightly smaller then the OD of the steering piston and 30 thousands. I figured why not try it. I cut it and spread it to form around the rack and reinstalled the bracket where he put his. It was like magic!!! no more play, Kudos to this guy. I'll put the new brackets in stock for a future issue. Replacing the brackets would be time consuming for sure. If this guy is still selling them I recommend getting one or two. Great idea.

Reactions: 1 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
So here is the link that gave me the idea, after closer inspection I measured my kubota bx and the play was 30 thousands. By chance I had a variety of shims slightly smaller then the OD of the steering piston and 30 thousands. I figured why not try it. I cut it and spread it to form around the rack and reinstalled the bracket where he put his. It was like magic!!! no more play, Kudos to this guy. I'll put the new brackets in stock for a future issue. Replacing the brackets would be time consuming for sure. If this guy is still selling them I recommend getting one or two. Great idea.
I seen one video where the guy was able to pop out the Balljoints and work the brackets over them without backing them off the rods.