Kubota ballast box improvements

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
I saw a short video of a fellow that built a cover for his ballast box. I liked
his idea and decided to expand on it.

The cover consist of 3/8 inch plywood with one inch sides. It fits on the top of the
ballast box and slides in to where the 3pt quick hitch with a cutout. I found some
used aluminum and secured that to the top of the cover, with 4 tie downs locations
for my Chain saw Box

I built this box several years ago, to carry the chain saw, chain oil, Tru fuel gas, and
all the tools I would need to do simple adjustments. I just adapted it for use when
using my tractor.

The chain saw box locks into place on the cover. it does not interfere with lifting
and lowering of the ballast box. Items like a jacket, boots, can be added inside the
ballast box, and remain dry even in rain. The Chain saw box on top is and easy lift
off when not needed, and secured in place when needed with simple rubber or
stretch bungies. You will also see a drop in bolt to the right of the 3pt pin which
hold the cover from sliding back and off the ballast box.

Attachments

Reactions: 5 users

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Looks great! I’ve been looking for ideas as I need a ballast box, and want it to have some other function in addition to ballast.

Reactions: 1 user

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Looks great! I’ve been looking for ideas as I need a ballast box, and want it to have some other function in addition to ballast.
That is exactly how I feel. I don't need my ballast box to carry a shovel, rake, but I do need it to carry my chain saw. This way I have oil, spare gas, and can work on the chain saw with the ballast box as a platform in the woods..

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That is exactly how I feel. I don't need my ballast box to carry a shovel, rake, but I do need it to carry my chain saw. This way I have oil, spare gas, and can work on the chain saw with the ballast box as a platform in the woods..
I think I mentioned on another thread I had the same one….here is are are some old previous pics…the trailer hitch really increased its flexibility for me. The step side that original was helpful as it allowed the box to not set far back off the machine…however as my machine(s) changed, that step side ultimately became the reason I sold / upgraded.

Attachments

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
I want to be able to have one or two chainsaws, fuel, oil, can't hook, and an axe. I also want to be able to pull a trailer and have it be flexible so I could put a rake and shovel in when I'm not sawing.

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
It is all doable with a little think on how. We all have different needs, and I have solved most of mine.